AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords API read-only access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We noticed that the user access levels have changed recently. Before, we would ask clients to grant us UI & API user access, but that user access level is no longer available. What minimum user access level do we need to have to have API access to our client accounts? Does API access have a read-only mode now? 

Thanks for any help or documentation you can provide.

Jon

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords API read-only access

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your posting. You should be able to use Standard access to do UI & API features. Please go to this link for a description of the different types of Adwords account access. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704346?hl=en&ref_topic=3121776

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did look at that, and it has no mention of API access. I did a test with a client that set us to Read-Only user access and the API calls now work where they have not before. It looks like something was updated that is not documented anywhere...

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Jon,

Please let me know if you run into the API issue still.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks JP,

But this wasn't so much as a problem as much as I was hoping there would be more documentation about this so we could point customers to a page to assure them it's not a fluke. At this point the read-only api fix looks like magic since, even as recently as May of this year, there is a response from the API team saying that read-only api access wasn't possible.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/adwords-api/B0VVHqNOLYs

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the clarification on your last reply. I've sent a request to have that portion of our online documentation (API access) updated so your customers can reference it. As soon as I get an update, I'll let you know.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help John.

Regards,
Jonathan Wu