AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords API - Do symbols in Keyword text field override specified match type?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've built  an editor on top of the Adwords API and that editor contains a series of keyword inputs. Upon submission, each input value is sanitized and will only include valid characters. We then explicitly set match type via the API. 

I was wondering what would happen if the user input itself contained match type symbols that conflicted with our explicit setting. 

For example, if I set,

keyword.text = "[baseball cap]"; 
keyword.matchType = "BROAD";

would the keyword BROADly match the text "[baseball cap]" or would it EXACTly match the text "baseball cap".

In order to test what would happen, I created an AdGroup through the API to experiment. The AdGroup contained all of the symbol variations on "baseball cap". Each keyword had match type  explicitly set to BROAD. I then opened the campaign in the Adwords UI and saw that the text retained its inputted symbols, but had been designated as BROAD match type even when the symbols conflicted.  

To continue with the example above, the UI had the following values for the input text "[baseball cap]":

Text: [baseball cap]            Match Type: BROAD

However, when I gave focus to the text input, the UI's validator would take hold and lock match type to EXACT as long as the brackets remained in the input. 

Should we be checking user input and overriding the explicit match type according to the detected symbology on our end? Or will this override in fact be handled despite what I saw initially in the UI?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

generally, the matchtype-field specifies the match-type,

not user-input keyword text symbols -- which is mainly

a feature function of the gui, not the api.

however, the forum for authoritative answers to api questions is here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/adwords-api

if this is for a script, the scripts forum is here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/adwords-scripts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! I'll re-post there.