AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords API Benefits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm wondering if there's any functionality the API provides that the google interface doesn't.

I know that it can be integrated with our internal system/data but I'm looking more for *functionality* it provides that cannot be done through the google UI.

Specifically, I'd like to know if there's anything we can use to better match sales to keyword and search term.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Adwords API Benefits

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Rivka,

If you get a good volume of phone calls from the site then you may want to consider a 3rd party phone tracking program.  There are many out there and they have different packaged options.  Some offer dynamic phone insertion.  You simple drop some java on the website and then code the destination url's with parameters that identify the incoming source.  This way you can have the appropriate phone number generate on the site depending on the incoming source and presto the appropriate number appears and all calls to it are tracked.  I use this with many clients and we track simple like search vs display network and with other clients we have dozens of numbers to track calls for a specific product line.

Some companies even have google analytics integration so that your calls can appear as goals in analytics.

I have had plenty of success with Ifbyphone if you wanted to take a look at a provider.

Kim

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
the API does add extra functionality.

Are you tracking conversions?

Are you selling online (ecommerce)?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, we're tracking conversions, and selling online, but is there a way to get the keyword that triggered the hit, on our site (I guess programatically)?

See, one problem we have is lots of times users land on us by our ads but then they call us and we take the order by phone, so the conversion wouldn't get tracked in those cases.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh yes you can get the keyword programatically - we built this years ago and people love it. 

I did this manually by looking at logfiles and figuring it out from there with the help of a really good programmer.

Short of that, there are tons of ways to track phone calls - here's a few -- use a special phone number in the add - or put some kind of special call to action like a coupon or free shipping so the callers identify themselves.  AdWords has built in call tracking but I've not implemented it, and there are also extensions to allow for phone numbers.  You can even use Google Voice as a freebie phone number to test it if you want a low cost low risk way of doing it.  The opportunities are almost endless.  Good luck.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Chewy. Will look into.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Rivka,

If you get a good volume of phone calls from the site then you may want to consider a 3rd party phone tracking program.  There are many out there and they have different packaged options.  Some offer dynamic phone insertion.  You simple drop some java on the website and then code the destination url's with parameters that identify the incoming source.  This way you can have the appropriate phone number generate on the site depending on the incoming source and presto the appropriate number appears and all calls to it are tracked.  I use this with many clients and we track simple like search vs display network and with other clients we have dozens of numbers to track calls for a specific product line.

Some companies even have google analytics integration so that your calls can appear as goals in analytics.

I have had plenty of success with Ifbyphone if you wanted to take a look at a provider.

Kim