AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advice on increasing budget effectively?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello community!

I am fairly new to AdWords. I have a handful of accounts that are on yearly budgets - I have a spend tracker set up for them and recently I am seeing that my accounts are about 11-20% under budget for the last month. 

I was wondering if anyone has advice on increasing spending in effectively ways? I don't really just want to increase daily budget to make sure I am hitting the numbers; I would like to make an informed, effectively increase that will hopefully help my accounts health.

I have made sure the daily budgets are all on track although I still seem to be under spending. Any advice on how to spend more effectively would be helpful. 

Thanks

J

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advice on increasing budget effectively?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jessi T,

A path I usually follow with my accounts, is the following:

Set up search campaigns
set up remarketing on display network

I then begin to optimize my search campaigns until I have them where I believe they are performing well for the time being.
It is at this point that budget increases come into play, and my favorite area for additional budget spend is on the display network.

Display network can be profitable in itself but it is much more likely to be a profitable supplement to your search campaigns. The more mature the display campaign the more of an effect it has on your search network.

Look into your impression share on the search network and look for opportunities to spend more budget there.
learn about IS here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en

These are the first 2 areas I look at to increase budget.

Let me know if this was helpful

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I am a bit confused if you want to increase your budget or  accelerate spending of your budget, let's assume the latter. There are many things to do when your campaigns are not reaching daily budget . Off the top of my head, here are some tips briefly:-

1) Use accelerated delivery method instead of standard method to show your ads more quickly.
2) Increase the number of your keywords, make sure that you are adding relevant keywords ( Try the search term reports and the keyword planner to get new ideas)
3)Target both search and display network.
4) Increase your bid. Normally, the higher your bid, the higher your position will be, which drives into more traffic.
5) Use less restrictive match type such broad match type and ensure that your keyword are neither too broad nor too specific.
6) Increase target location will increase traffic and clicks, but just make sure that this new location is relevant to your business.
7) Improve your ad copy and use different ad formats.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jessi, this can be a common problem when you're working to a fixed budget.  What I do with a couple of Accounts that have fixed budget Campaigns is use a script to dynamically change their budgets each day.  For example, let's say the budget is £3000 a month in June ('cos the math is easy!), so you'd want to spend £100 a day.  What I tend to see in such Campaigns is that spend varies day on day and throughout the month so after a month you can see days where the Campaign has only spent £80 and other days when it's spent the full £100 (or more, allowing for the 20% extra AdWords can add on individual days).  The annoyance here is that it's possible on these "high spend" days that you could have spent even more.

The script I use examines total spend in a month and sets the daily budget based upon the monthly budget and how much has been spent so far.  So, for example, if on the 1st the Campaign spent £50, that would leave £2950 for the remaining 29 days so the budget for the 2nd would be set to £102 (I round up in the script).  Not a massive change but as the month progresses this script can allow you to spend more of your budget on days where it's possible.

The script is relatively short and simple and I'd be happy to share it.

Note that if you're not reaching your daily budget, changing to Accelerated Delivery will make no difference.  AdWords always tries to spend your full daily budget so if you're not reaching it using Standard Delivery, there's no reason for Accelerated to spend any more (assuming AdWords has enough data to accurately predict click patterns).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

All of these helped wonderfully! 

and just to clarify -- I didn't want to accelerate my spending. Basically whats happening is that even though my daily budgets should be enough to hit my monthly spending goals, some times I am just not getting spending my daily. It didn't balance out at the end off the month (I understand some days are under and some are over). 

I wanted to find ways to spend more in my account but in a way that would benefit me. I am going to try to improve ad copy, adding more keywords were possible, increasing bids, etc.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jessi, in that case, I do think the scripting approach could help.

Another option is to look at your structure.  Depending upon how your Account is structured, it could be that you're not giving all your Campaigns a fair shot at the budget.  For example, if a Campaign targets the entire US, then the east coast has 3 hours of a working day using up the budget before the west coast gets a chance. If the east coast has a higher click rate than the west, it could be that AdWords adjusts the ad delivery to suit that rate when the west coast could use something higher.  There are no guarantees, but I'd recommend looking at your structure to consider whether greater granularity could allow a better use of the budget.  Simply put, rather than £100 a day in one Campaign, could it be split into 4 spending (initially) £25 each, which you can then adjust to allow a better spend.

You should also look at weekend vs weekday spend.  Without automation there's no way to alter the budget between the two but there could be a dramatic difference in spend.  You may find, for example, that you could use a higher budget on weekdays and a much lower one at the weekend and get closer to your target.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Jessi T,
There are some Best practice to increase your daily budget effectively.

1. Go to lost impression share report due to budget
And increase campaign daily budget accordingly.

2. Go to the related CTR report and increase bid in Display accordingly, average related CTR is 1x try to reach 2x, 3x.

3. Increase your Ads reach, Add more keywords in your search campaign and make sure Ads are visible on every keywords.

4. See Hours of the day report and Increase You Budget accordingly.

5. Increase CPC of performing and relevant keywords.