AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advertising on the Search Bar -Getting ahead of the competition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to place ads on the search bar drop down suggestions box. So when a user types a search term and gets suggestions in the drop down box, a small one line ad would be visible. This ad would eliminate the need of going to the search page and put the advertiser ahead of its competitors.

Let me know your thoughts.

Abhijeet

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advertising on the Search Bar -Getting ahead of the competition

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I feel it wouldn't be accepted by users and hence could be detrimental to the fundamental idea of user experience. As you might be aware, Google believes in good user experience and fosters it by providing a variety of useful info (like organic listings, locations on the map, etc. including ads) to users, thereby being fair to users primarily and advertisers too.

Sumanth Sridhar

Re: Advertising on the Search Bar -Getting ahead of the competition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth. Thanks for your comment. I am aware that Google firmly believes in excellent user experience. For that, we would only show one one-line ad, the most relevant one or the one with the highest ad score, at the bottom of the search drop down box. In that way, we would help the user get to the most relevant website without even going to the search page. I think, it would only make the user experience better. Also the best performing ad will get a privileged ad position. We are being fair to the advertisers as well.

Let me know if that takes care of your concern.