AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advertising In Extremely Saturated Markets

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I have some experience advertising in saturated markets. Usually my strategy would be to place a greater focus on long tailed keywords and alternative search intent themes:

Eg if I'm selling cars I would target transportation methods instead.

However...in my specific situation, long tail and alternative themes are completely cornered.

I am looking for high saturation best practices and advice based on experience.

Input is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advertising In Extremely Saturated Markets

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Robert;
Have you tried using only exact match KWs with ad-copy "tightly themed" to the KWs?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV I always create very tightly themed ad groups and keywords. I did not only use exact match keywords. I create a version of each high quality keyword in modified broad match, phrase match & exact match. I also always use negative keyword list and run search term reports to keep irrelevant traffic out and find new opportunities.

Switching to just exact match may be a feasible strategy and is something I will keep in mind. Any other ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It seems that you have structured the campaign, "by the book".
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes. I think unfortunately that in this specific scenario, CPA's, CPC's etc will simply be higher due to the extreme competition. Not much in terms of magical ways I can think to sidestep this result.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
It's all in the search terms report. There is always a top of the pyramid search term that generates more interest/engagement/conversions than any other. Isolate that term, and continue to optimize the ad text.

The ad is the only part of the account a user actually interacts with. By focusing the targeting, you can more effectively test the messaging for that specific KW/user query.
Tom