AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advertisers exceeding character limits?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi fellow Adwords pros. I have a character limit issue that I'm stumped on. I originally posted this in an existing thread but nobody answered. Lately I've been seeing a few advertisers being able to exceed either total character limits or just headline limits. 

I've added the ad copy below as it appeared on my screen. The headline is 57 characters, Google is pulling desc 1 into the headline when in top position. Line 2 has 58 characters. That's a total of 115 characters, exceeding the 95 allowed between three lines of text (25,35,35).

Perhaps someone can clear this up? So far I haven't found a clear answer, except an article quoting a statement from Google, in short saying sometimes ads will exceed character limits because of dynamic keyword insertion and if there is enough "space" on the page. I've not been able to figure out how this may have happened, and such an error doesn't sound like Google. If they are able to set character limits, why would they not be able to stop the "rare occurrences"? Amazon is another domain that I constantly see doing this. Any help would be appreciated. 

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 Bookshelf Speaker‎

Free Shipping on Everything! 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advertisers exceeding character limits?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
In years past, I have seen a handful of ads exceeding the character limits. One must keep in mind that Google is always trying and testing new things. I do recall one of those tests concerning the character limit.

Using the DKI feature is not supposed to result in ads exceeding limits. But if Google says it could, I guess it could. I don't actively look for such ads.

What you seem to show however is simply Adwords showing the first description line tacked to the headline. That's a normal behavior as well as other such variations. Nothing you can control.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If you break the ad down into separate fields, then the ad exceeds the total character limit. For DKI, it would still need to be within the 25 character limit, wouldn't it? Except for the ads mentioned, ads with the first description tacked on, have a hyphen separating the headline from the description.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Well , the google is testing new things due to which you be able to see this long type Ad's

I have also seen the same when asked, the google replied that they have been testing new things on some of the accounts due to which you be able to see such long Ad headline and description line.Might be in future we would see more of such kind,as google test on other advertisors

With DKI, there is no way you be able to exceed character limit.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Greg, I took a look at SpyFu and it estimates that Crutchfield.com spends between $4,550 and $13,840 per day. I wouldn't be surprised if they were running some beta test with Google. They are also running on an insanely large and broad amount of keywords. 15,000 clicks a day is what SpyFu says. SEMrush gives a more modest estimate on both counts, but I think the point is that they spend money.

On thing that I wanted add is that I had a client once that had a really long URL, and so it automatically allowed the display URL to go past 35 characters, so I guess that anything is possible.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
From your experience, how accurate are SpyFu numbers, when compared to traffic of actual accounts for which you have access to the data. I've looked at SEMrush before and found that it doesn't really provide anything accurate, or even a sample size. I searched a client's domain on SEMrush, and the results said that the domain was spending approximately $20/day, when the client was spending well over $300/day. I might also mention, that the client is a local advertiser, only targeting a specific market. Any feedback?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I just did a quick audit on some clients and it is semi-accurate. I had one $60,000 client in the range SpyFu gave and another client at around the same spend over-estimating by 2-3x actual spend. I saw that one $6,000 client was in the right range too. I'm sure I could find some that are under, if I looked.

Long story short, I'd use them as a gauge to see if they are spending. My guess is that if SpyFu thinks they are spending a lot, then they probably are, same with SEMrush.

I don't know what to say about it being a local advertiser, but if they are spending a ton, then Google probably doesn't care if they are local or national, they just look at spend levels.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@ Greg;

can you upload a screenshot of this ad so we can see where and how it is positioned on the SERP?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
As this site (never heard of them before this thread) seems to sell all kinds of electronic things, would not be surprised if they did spend a few thousand dollars a day. I would not put much trust however on numbers reported by SpyFu or any other such site. Unless they have access to Adwords accounts, there's no way they can know with any degree of accuracy what any advertiser is doing. That large spend range is one clue.

Now since Crutchfield likely has a large number of keywords, makes sense Google would get them involved in any test.

When was that about your client? I don't think you can exceed a display URL limit. But yes, many things are possible.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
>> I'd use them as a gauge

That's the only thing I can think of using such data. But frankly, you should know if your competitors are using Adwords, just do a search. I don't care how much they are spending. For one thing, they may be overspending by doing their PPC wrong. I just try to outdo them and usually succeed. Besides, Adwords has something called Auction Insights which I think is better and more useful information than anything SpyFu could provide.