AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advanced location options

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have read this page https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722038&ctx=tltp about the above subject. The first option is :

Reach people in,searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location.

With this setting, if someone is located in your targeted location, but is searching for or viewing pages about a location outside of that targeted location; we won’t show your ad.

So my question is, I have chosen this option & my target location is the UK, so I assumed my ads will only show for search eg. “Wedding shoes” “wedding shoes London” but not searches for "wedding shoes Florida" or wedding shoes Nigeria" my ads will not show, but my ads are still showing for all this places, Why? What am I’m doing wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advanced location options

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi menash,

I assume that you are having some broad or phrase match keywords in this campaign.

In this case, if you want to exclude the searches for unrelated options you ALSO have to activate the negative option:

"People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location"

It is located in the campaign settings right under the option you set and where talking about for including geographical relevant searches

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Arne, thank you but a think you are wrong. If my target is the UK and as you suggested my "Excluded Location" anywhere outside the UK, than the ad will not show for search from Paris for the term "wedding shoes london".

I want the the ad to show  for the term "wedding shoes Uk"
from everywhere in the world .

I DON'T want my ads to show for any search from the UK for "wedding shoes USA/Paris/Afghanistan

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Menash,

yes you are right. I gave you a wrong advice.

In that case I think it is only manageable with two campaings:

Campaing #1: "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location" (UK) 

=> Negative option does not matter here, cause as you can read on http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453995&topic=1713941&path=1713940-1710...

"Location of interest works only if the location in the search is in the same country where the searcher is physically located. So if you search for France hotel while located in the United States, you won't see ads for hotels in France even though your search showed interest in that country."

Campaign #2: "People in my targeted location" (Wordwide with UK exluded) AND "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location"

This should do it. Keywords and Ads can be the sme for both campaigns, cause they are mutually exclusive

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Menash,

I tend to think the information on the help page seems messed up a bit. Before I escalate on this issue I'd need definite confirmation from you in regard to:

1. I assume you're located in the UK, using google.com and targeting computers and laptops, *versus* high end mobile devices, with your ad?

2. When you made a Google search for wedding shoes Florida your paid ad would come up on the search results page?

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lakatos

1) I 'm in the UK and using .co.uk and targeting all (computers & Mobils)

2) Yes when searching wedding shoes Florida my ad is showing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Arne, NO I can’t believe I should need to run each campaign double, there must be some other way to do this.

Let’s hope a  folk from Google will respond 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Menash,

Thanks so much for answering. Advanced location targeting was recently upgraded and so was the help page.

The issue has been escalated now.

Thank you for raising this question.

Best,

Lakatos