AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advanced location clarification

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all - trying to wrap my head around the Advanced Location Options and need some clarification.  

The situation: 

A Dentist in Tacoma, WA wants his ad to show to someone who is physically located in Tacoma AND to someone outside of Tacoma that searches their chosen keywords with a geo modifier (I.E. - "Dentist Tacoma.

To accomplish this - would you need to have 2 campaigns?  

• First Campaign:  "Reach People in my targeted location" and set the location to Tacoma, WA (it is my understanding this is based on I.P. address) and to exclude "People in my excluded region" - where the excluded region is the United States?  
  • Second Campaign:  "Reach people searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location" where the location is Tacoma, WA and exclude "people in my excluded region" where the excluded region is Tacoma, WA

The end goal is that if a person is sitting in Tacoma, WA and searches "Dentist Montgomery, AL" the Tacoma Dentist does not want his ad to show (which it could with the default settings) - but if a person is sitting in Montgomery, AL and searches "Dentist, Tacoma" the ad should show.  Would the above settings accomplish this?  

Thanks in advance.  

Re: Advanced location clarification

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

You only need one campaign to do what you mentioned and you need to leave the default setting as it is.

By using the default setting to reach people in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location, your ads can appear for people in Tacoma searching for a dentist, as well as people throughout the world (in other states) searching for Tacoma Dentist .

There's no need to exclude areas that you haven't already targeted , Google won't show your ads in places unless you explicitly target them. So don't worry Google will not show your ad in Montgomery unless someone searchs for Tacoma Dentist.

I highly recommend you to go over this article to understand everything clearly, it has really good examples:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to add on that, you can also add negative keywords so ads do not appear when people in Tacoma search for dentist in other states. e.g. -Montgomery as a negative keyword

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Muskrat,
To add to Ahmed's excellent answer here is a link to a presentation done by AdWords Top Contributor @Jon_Gritton 

Location Targeting Presentation

I'll also add, that although some may disagree with me and think overkill, I do sometimes create two Campaigns - one targeted locally with non-geo-modified Keywords and one targeted nationally with geo-modified Keywords (including city, zip code, neighborhood, etc.).  Per Ahmed's answer, the system is smart enough to detect location, but I enjoy the extra control and flexibility creating two Campaigns allows me.

How to Attract Local Customers

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ahmed -

Wouldn't leaving the default setting on allow the ad to show in all situations? If I have the default set to "PEOPLE IN, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location" and I am sitting in Tacoma but search for DENTISTS, New Jersey - because I am physically in TACOMA - the Tacoma Dentist ad could still show - would it not?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

---Edited---, It's better to use negative keywords such New Jesrey, Momentary...etc--- to be fully sure.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I'm sorry - not trying to argue with you - but that just doesn't make sense... why would they even have a setting for "people in my targeted location" if the first setting would keep my ad from showing in New Jersey? The Default is set to show your ad to:

People IN my targeted Location
OR
People SEARCHING for
OR
People VIEWING pages about my targeted location

This means that if someone is IN my area - my ad will show regardless of what is searched (as long as the keyword matches - I.E. "Dentist New Jersey")
OR
If someone is searching for info about my area (with a geo modifier) my ad could show - regardless of where the searcher is actually sitting (I.E. if they are in New Jersey and they search for Tacoma Dentist)
OR
if someone is viewing pages about my targeted location (this would mainly apply to the display network I would think)

If the above were NOT true - you would not have a choice to select only "people in my targeted location" - but even that setting will still allow my ad to show when someone searches New Jersey (or any other state) because if they are physically IN my targeted locations - my ad can show.

What I want to do is show my ad ONLY to people IN my area UNLESS they search using a geo modifier that is OUT of my area. In other words - I don't want ad's to show like the below screenshot shows... How do I eliminate the ad showing to people IN my area that are searching for stuff outside of my area?

Screen shot: (sorry - FB was the only public host I had for this picture) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204159158881236&l=51337d0a82 -

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
sorry - probably should tell you that in that sample screenshot - the 2nd and 3rd ads are for Tacoma Area Plumbers - NOT Robbinsville NJ plumbers....

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
I am sorry, you are right, I must have missed something.

The first example in this URL explain a similar case:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038

Sorry for the misconception again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Muskrat I think you are missing something here. The proposed solution is to setup the campaign in this structure.

PROPOSED SOLUTION
Locations: Tacoma
Targeting: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about targeted location
Negative Keywords at campaign level: -New Jersey
Keywords: dentist

The results will be as follows;
People in Tacoma will see the ads when they search for "dentist" or "dentist tacoma" etc but will not see the ads when they search for "dentist New Jersey" because "New Jersey" is a negative keyword

People in New Jersey will only see the ads if they search for "dentist tacoma" but will not see the ads when they search for "dentist" or "dentist New Jersey" because of the negative keyword and also their location.

The challenge with this approach is adding enough negative keywords for places that should not trigger the ads, unwanted locations searched for that is. One approach is to keep a close eye on the "search terms report" from Adwords and make some locations negative keywords. The downside is you will figure out the unwanted places after carrying the costs from those clicks.

Beware: do not confuse adding New Jersey as a negative keyword to New Jersey as locations to exclude in campaign setup, they are different and have different implications

I think this approach is the easier one but obviously there are other ways to handle the campaign.

2 CAMPAIGNS APPROACH
This approach may also work and would gives more flexibility e.g. budget for Tacoma and other places/states etc, as per Brian suggestion and yours. The issue with this approach is if not careful you can get easily tangled in your strategy. Like the proposed approach, you will need to add negative keywords for First Campaign, e.g -New Jersey. Also I am not too sure if it is technically possible in Adwords to have a place as target location and exclusion location on the same campaign, for Second Campaign.

I would still recommend the proposed solution!