AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advanced broad match for single term keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm growing a list of advanced broad match modifier keywords based off my top performing keywords and queries.  However, many of my top performing keywords and queries are single term brands.  My understanding of this match type tells me that advanced broad and phrase would function the same for single term keywords.  This is not a brand I'll actually be working with, but for example: +subway would function the same way as "subway".

Does anyone know differently?  Or has anyone had success adding single term advanced broad match keywords without cannibalizing the traffic to the phrase match type?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Advanced broad match for single term keywords

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Heisemann,

You are right +subway would function the same way as "subway". Kindly read Broad Match Modifier Overview for more information.

I'll suggest you to use the Search Term report to see which keywords are giving you conversions and add those keywords in ad groups or make new ad group for these keywords. I follow one rule in adowrds if anything which is working well for campaign don't change that, so keep active all those keywords and ad text which are giving you conversion. Beside this broad match keywords which are giving you conversions you can use them as phrase and exact match.

How can I see which search terms triggered my ads?

Dinesh
My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello. I'm afraid I'll have to disagree on this one.

There's one clear advantage for +subway as opposed to subway. 

Depending on the language, close variants will include misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings (like "floor" and "flooring").

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=175280

Phrase match will not give you any of the cases above.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Calin,

I think you are right as per adwords, Can I put more than one modifier in a broad match keyword? Yes, you can attach a modifier (+) to one, many, or all words in a broad match keyword. But be aware that putting a modifier before every word in a broad match keyword significantly limits the potential range of searches that will trigger your keyword. But not sure is this applicable if we are using only one word as keyword.

Dinesh
My Blog

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have observed one thing that broad match type generally picks multiple keywords. I have never seen a search term report with single words. May be manually you can insert that.

Let me know.

TakeMyAudition