AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advanced Targeting Glitch

kb
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
kb
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone,

I have a company in Phoenix, AZ that only performs emergency, on-site services in Phoenix.  Naturally, I have my targeting methods set specifically for Phoenix, AZ using "target by physical location only" and "device based signals only".

However, recently I noticed that a substantial amount of paid clicks were made by people in Phoenix, but whose searches included areas not in Phoenix.  For example, "emergency towing in charlotte nc". 

I looked at all the Advanced Targeting Methods and Exclusion Methods and studied all of the examples, and I couldn't find a method for excluding my ads from showing to those who are physically located in Phoenix but have non-Phoenix locations in their queries.

I found examples for every other permutation of targeting and exclusion methods but none solved my problem

Am I missing something?

Is it possible?  Can anyone show me how to do that?

If it's not possible, shouldn't Adwords offer a way to do it?

After all, how much sense does it make for me to pay thousands of dollars in clicks for people who are physically located in my targeted location, but are searching for a business outside of my targeted location?

I pray that there is an answer.

-kb

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advanced Targeting Glitch

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello kb,

My question to you would be what kind of keywords are you using in your Adwords account? Are they more of generic kind of are you using some regional keywords too?(i.e. keywords containing Phoenix, Arizona etc..)

Did you get a chance to look at the search terms for your keywords? And most importantly were you able to identify the delivered match type with respect to particular keyword?

There might be chances that you are using more of the Broad match keywords and delivered match type being Broad with those kind of queries clicking your ads.

Few things I could think of for you would be:

1. Try including the irrelevant terms as negatives at ad group and campaign level. This would restrict the unwanted traffic for you.

2. You could also try including the locations which are outside your business boundaries as negative keywords, so that if users include those locations, your ads are not shown.

3. Try to restrict the broad matches and focus more on Phrase, Exact matches. Although they will bring in less traffic but the traffic would be more relevant and precise to your Business.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello kb;

This is very interesting ....

Just to make sure I understood your question:

What you actually have is users located in Phoenix, include a "geo-targeting" as a word in their search query, while you cannot exclude locations by search intent (unless you will include a list of all locations outside Phoenix as negative keywords, which will be an unending list of locations.) - Did I get you right?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

kb
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
kb
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Exactly.  It's a big problem for me.  It's a competitive industry and my competitors are clicking on me just to use up my budget.  There should be a way to at least filter the competitors that are using a location outside of my targeting area in their search terms, don't you agree?

-kb

P.S.  I wanted to thank you for your advice on fixing my display network campaign by lowering the amount of ad groups and increasing the amount of keywords per ad group.  It's working much better now.

kb
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
kb
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi pankaj,

You gave me a very logical solution in theory, but in practice, it's not feasible.

To answer your question about which search terms triggered which keywords, an example would be "towing in charlotte nc" triggering my keyword "towing".  And thats using "towing" as phrase match.

I have generic and regional keywords.  There's no way to avoid having both. 

If I want to provide towing services in Phoenix, I can't just have exact or phrase match keywords and exclude broad match terms such as "towing" or "emergency towing" from my keyword list.  Then, if someone in Phoenix needs a tow, they would have to type "phoenix towing" in order to see my ads instead of just typing "towing" and understanding that Google will show them local towing services when they just type in "towing".

More than 50% of the people that find my ads are physically in Phoenix and use non-regional search terms.

Adding locations outside of my targeting area to my negative keyword list would mean adding every city on Earth.  That would be impossible.

I appreciate your timely response, but this question is quite problematic for me.  My industry is very competitive and my competitors click on my ads just to cost me money and exhaust my budget with no intent for service.

If they can use a search term with any city in the world to find my ads, then I'm in trouble.

Do you agree that there should be a way to exclude my target audience by locational search queries no matter where they are physically located.  After all, Google's job is to give people what they're searching for as quickly and as easily as possible.  Why would Google show my ad to someone who obviously does not want to see it.

-kb

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again kb,

Honestly, I share whatever I have implemented for my client's accounts and trust me it does work Smiley Happy 

My best guess would be to include the cities name as negatives in your campaigns and I am pretty much sure you won't have to add every city on earth as negative. As per Google's advanced location targeting people who are physically located in Phoenix will see your ads. So I am sure there won't be many entering other cities name inside their query to just see and click your ad.

Another idea I could think for you would be to include the city name inside your text ad where you are oeprating, if you are a local business like Phoenix Towing Services, Serving in Phoenix etc.. This would give a clear indication in front of online users that you are operating only in Phoenix.

My industry is very competitive and my competitors click on my ads just to cost me money and exhaust my budget with no intent for service.

I understand that now a days every industry is very competitve and there is a cut throat competiton going on everywhere but still how can you really say this? Do you have the web logs data which gives you a hint of repeated clicks from the same IP address or something? Please note that Google's click filtering techniques are very reliable and pretty much strong that Invalid Clicks are easily tracked and the Advertiser is credited with the amount if some invalid clicks have happened.

Still if you think that there is some unethical practice happening with your Account, you can always report that to Google for further investigation.

Edited : Kb, I just read the official announcement related to some advanced targeting location changes, which might be of some help to you. As per the official blog announcement, if you select exclusion as people in my excluded location, it will be interpreted as : For example, now by default excluding Chicago means your ad won’t show for customers in Chicago or those outside Chicago who included “Chicago” in their searches.

This change will only impact newly created campaigns and will not affect existing campaigns. 

I hope it makes some sense.

As always, it's an open forum and there would be many agreeing and disagreeing with my opinon Smiley Happy

Pankaj

Re: Targeting geo-locations and excluding Geo-locations based on search intent

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again kb;

First, I am happy that another post of mine was helpful and productive for your campaign . As this Community manager, Eric, wrote a few days ago, it's warm to get a 'thank you' from users, who get advice on this site.

Second, I had dug into the new help center on targeting, and the announcement Pankaj linked to, before posting my first answer. But, doing all "Booleanl logic algebra" of "true vs. false" calculations, I did not find a condition that would neet your requirement :

• targeting people in Phoenix (Area A) AND do not include areas OUTSIDE Phoenix ( Area B - rest of the USA) as a search intent.,

(The quote from the blog Pankaj gave, refers to people in Phoenix OR outside Phoenix, that include a search intent Phoenix, while you are looking for those in Phoenix AND do not include search intent other than (outside) Phoenix.)

The issue you raised should go straight to AdWords developers desk to give it serious thoughts. I think , that the issue has not been addressed, because in the US geo-targeting using IP, is much more technological developed than in Europe. In Europe we still exclude areas, based on search intent, while in the US it's easy to do using IP geo-targeting.

Please allow me sometime to look into that again, to make sure I did not make a mistake. The Boolean logic conditions are not easy to comprehend, in this case.

Furthermore, as per the blog " Previously, if you had selected “Target using physical location,” your ad would show to people in your targeted location as long as they were not searching for something related to a different location. "- This as your first question indicated, did not work for you.- This is strange....

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

kb;

I think I found a solution. Try the following:

Instead of targeting users who located in Phoenix, and exclude those who are in Phoenix with search intent outside Phoenix, will go the reverse way;

Try to target Phoenix. Exclude all the rest of the country, by using :

• Exclude by physical location and search intent: Exclude customers who are likely to be physically located in your excluded geographic areas OR searching for keywords related to your excluded geographic locations.

If this condition is "true" then, the" OR " condition on the new revised targeting tab, should show ad impressions only to the users you are targeting.

please do get back to us, and report if this is successful.

-Moshe

Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

kb wrote:

Exactly.  It's a big problem for me.  It's a competitive industry and my competitors are clicking on me just to use up my budget.  There should be a way to at least filter the competitors that are using a location outside of my targeting area in their search terms, don't you agree?

Regarding clicking from competitors, others have brought up Google's invalid clicks.  Some of these clicks will be filtered for you and you won't pay.  Not all, though.  It's worth monitoring this for yourself.  Try using IP exclusion to block your competitors from seeing your ads in the first place.  See:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=61492

kb
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
kb
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Moshe,

I thought about that idea, but then I would have to exclude every country in the world except for the U.S., then every state except for AZ, and then every city in AZ except for Phoenix.

Otherwise, when I target Phoenix and then exclude the U.S., I get an "exclusion conflict" message.

Is there a trick to exclude the whole world and then override the exclusion conflict for Phoenix?

That would probably solve the problem.

-kb