AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advanced Location Targeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Everyone, its me again...I need some more help.  

I cannot sort out location targeting properly.  

I am advertising for a hotel based in Malta.  All of the KW used are modified broad match with +Malta attached to each keyword.

Now, I have two campaigns:

Campaign 1 intended to target all the countries, excluding UK.

Campaign 2 intended to target UK only.

Settings for Campaign 1 are as follows:

Targeted Location - Malta 

Excluded Location - UK 

Advance Setting: People searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location.

Settings for Campaign 2:

Targeted Location - UK

Advanced Setting: People in my targeted location

Problem 1:  Are settings for Campaign 1 my best option? Am I targeting all countries searching for hotels in Malta? I would want clicks coming mostly from other countries, not Malta specifically.

Or should I use these settings - Targeting Location: Global & Advanced Settings: People in my targeted location? (However when I tried this I remember I was getting the following message -"location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Malta". And a chunk of my clicks were coming from Malta).

If I understood well in this case, 'targeting location' in adwords changes its meaning when advanced settings are applied.  'People in my targeted location' will show ads to location targeted, ex. if it was campaign 1 then ads will only be displayed in 'Malta'.

But 'People searching for or who show interest in my target location' will show ads to anyone around the world whose search query involves the term 'Malta' if targeted location is 'Malta'.  Am I correct? 

Problem 2: Are settings for UK campaign correct? Does +Malta in keywords, impact my UK campaign. I keep on getting this message: The "location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Malta". Anything I can do about this?

Not urgent so please answer when convenient! Thank you! Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The first one should technically be "all countries and territories" - If you remove malta, it should default to this.  Completely global is a HUGE market, so I would recommend narrowing it to the best performing regions.

The 2nd one is correct.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yep you are right, I tried it and it didn't work.  The setting below only targeted Malta. 

Targeted Location - Malta 

Advance Setting: People searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location.

It is not making sense though. What does the following mean - 'People searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location'?  

So I switched it to:

Targeted Location - All Countries and territories 

Advance Setting: People in  my targeted location

But I keep on getting this message: 

'The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Malta.

Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank.Etc' Even with a Quality Score of 7 and max CPC higher than suggested first page bid ...I am really not understanding what the problem is here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I suspect that the warning is "buggy" in the sense that you want to target all countries (done!) and exclude UK (also done!) but the system is spotting the keyword Malta - which you also need ....

You do not need the advanced setting of "people in my targeted location - since you're targeting the whole world (I would take @Shanee_Kirk 's advice and limit to those countries of most interest) and I would use the restrictive form for your exclusion as you have.

If this problem continues then I would set up a campaign (as much as anything as a test) targeting, say, the USA and see what happens. In any event, you would probably be best to target countries, or groups of countries, by language and timezone so as to have greater control over the settings.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @stickleback, thanks for your reply Smiley Happy.  But if I use the less restrictive form, ie. People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location (recommended) - what does targeted location mean here? Is it referring to same location I chose for 'targeted location', in this case 'all countries and territories'?  I mean I wouldn't want people showing interest in all countries.  I just want the ones interested in Malta.  

I may be misunderstanding what these restrictive forms mean in adwords. 

@Shanee_Kirk  Shanee I am getting 400 impressions per day, targeting all countries.  How huge is global? Smiley Happy Should I be getting more impressions?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Yes.. it becomes confusing ;-)

But it makes sense if you think about targeting for one country-- let me explain.

Let's suppose you target France. If you target "people in my selected location" then your ads will only be served to people in France.

If, however, you select "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" then you will reach people in France, but you may also reach someone who searches for an hotel in France.

But this becomes pointless in the situation where you are targeting all countries - because everybody is in your "targeted location"

So it's a setting that is useful in most cases, but not where all countries are selected if that makes sense.

To get back to your specific situation....

you are looking to advertise your hotel in Malta to people anywhere in the world (except the UK - which is its own case)

But you don't want to target people in Malta only. Neither do you really want to target people who have an interest in Malta (you do - but it's a specific interest, so bear with me)

Essentially, you want to target anyone in the world who is searching for "hotel" - "accommodation" - "vacation" etc - but only if they are looking for these things in Malta, correct?

So what you have done - which is adding the qualifier +Malta in all your keywords achieves this - so that's good.

and because of this, you don't need to worry about the geo targeting for this part of the equation - you're already ensuring that the searcher is looking for an hotel in Malta through the keyword.

There are a bunch of other reasons why you might want to set up campaigns for different countries as suggested earlier - scheduling, bidding, budget, etc. but these are different issues from the geo targeting.

I hope that helps clarify a little

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

It does seem low to me.  Possibly restricted by your match type?  You might need to expand your keyword selection some.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@stickleback I am sorry I am not getting it.  Last question I promise Smiley Happy!.  

"Let's suppose you target France. If you target "people in my selected location" then your ads will only be served to people in France.

If, however, you select "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" then you will reach people in France, but you may also reach someone who searches for an hotel in France."

So if:

Target Location: Malta.

Advanced Settings: People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location. OR People searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location.

In this case, people in Malta, and people in France and Germany and Italy who show interest in 'Malta' in their search query (ex. malta hotels), will be targeted? Or only people in Malta are targeted? 

Because when I used this setting I was getting clicks only from inside Malta.

Yet when I changed targeting to all countries, still most clicks came from Malta! (other countries showed up however but impressions and clicks were low).  I am worried that the added word 'Malta' in all my keyword is affecting this.  Do you think this is the problem?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monique Z
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

As a general rule I tend to use the more restrictive targeting - so if I am targeting France I would set the advanced targeting to only people in my targeted location.

and then - if I wanted to be sure that I was targeting my search terms - good value hotel - for example - only for people looking for an hotel in Malta - I would do what you have done and add +Malta as a qualifier to the keywords.

I would not target Malta - because you are telling the system to restrict to Malta-  and although you allow searches that show an interest in Malta - that is not as direct a route as saying I want people in France looking for an hotel in Malta - which the keyword based approach does.

I know that both approached *should* work, but my gut feeling would be that the system would be reluctant to show ads,in the US for example - even with the looser setting - to people in France... it's not an exact science by any stretch of the imagination and I wish I could give you firm reasons to do one or the other, but it's as slippery as an eel on speed.

I would concentrate, for the time being, on one or two countries and get the keywords triggering with the +Malta qualifier.

Test by increasing the bids until you trigger a decent number of impressions - the traffic will be there.

You're going to have to treat Malta itself as a "special case" and target accordingly - excluding for the other campaigns in all probability.

If you target by country and then use the most restrictive advanced option, you will be able to get a clearer picture of what is going on - unless you do this there will always be a lot of "pollution" from other countries that will muddy the waters.

Once you identify the baselines then you can test opening up the advanced settings or adding other countries. I know this is laborious task, but it's probably the only way you're going to get a real handle on what's happening.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you so much @stickleback, I will do that Smiley Happy.