3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
favorite_border

Advanced Location Targeting & Country Exclusion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

My client operates in Miami, FL, United States.

We want to target "People in, searching for, or who show interest in" Miami, but only who are living in the United States.

I started the campaigns with my target location with Miami in a 40 miles radius, and then realized that we've been burning money to non-US countries: the current business model can only serve to US citizens.

I don't want to add "Miami" to all my keywords because I don't want to miss other opportunities.

One option is to target everyone living in the US with "People in my targeted location" option. But I don't want to target people that don't show interest in Miami as well.

As I understand, the only option I have is to exclude all the non-US countries for my campaigns. It's really a frustrating experience:

• I have to exclude all non-US countries. My ads gained impressions from 134 non-US countries. I wanted to make sure to exclude all non-US countries. I have downloaded the latest AdWords API Location Criteria from the AdWords API documentation. Then I've extracted all  non-US countries from this 6.9M csv file, there were 226 of them.
  • Then I need to copy-paste location targeting exclusions from this campaign to my other campaigns.

After about an hour of additional agony, I've realized that there's a tool for doing these tasks in an easier way than just adding all the 226 countries for all the campaigns manually: The almighty AdWords Editor. AdWords Editor made it easier for me to add negative locations (exclusions) in bulk and copy-paste those negative locations between campaigns.

Wouldn't it be so much easier if we could make rule-based exclusions directly on AdWords web interface? I just want to exclude all countries other than the United States of America. Or is it already hidden somewhere but I'm not aware of it? 

I would appreciate any idea, thanks all in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Çağrı S
October

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Cagri,

Tough I never worked with coded scripts, my best guess is that the page linked-to below could be of assistance for you. 

***   Using scripts to make automated changes - Campaign Targeting   ***

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/features/campaign-targeting

Otherwise the Create and manage scripts is the lowest menu item under the Automate drop-down tab.

Well, my 2 cents.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

All Replies
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Çağrı S
October

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Cagri,

Tough I never worked with coded scripts, my best guess is that the page linked-to below could be of assistance for you. 

***   Using scripts to make automated changes - Campaign Targeting   ***

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/features/campaign-targeting

Otherwise the Create and manage scripts is the lowest menu item under the Automate drop-down tab.

Well, my 2 cents.

Best,

Lakatos

Highlighted

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lokatos,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will take a look at using scripts for my AdWords campaigns, I think it would help me automate things in a more productive way.

I still think there can be an easier and non-tech-people-friendlier way to do this. This kind of a location targeting feature right in AdWords web interface might come in handy for a noteworthy amount of AdWords users.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Çağrı S,

Did you resolve your issue? I have similar problems in my account. Although there is not too much spend in irrelevant areas it is still being wasted.

I'd love to hear how you worked around the issue.

Thanks Jared 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there Jared,

I didn't have the chance to try the solution suggested by Lokatos above yet, but I was able to resolve the issue by the method I've explained in my first post to exclude all non-US countries by using AdWords Editor. Once you build your negative locations list on AdWords Editor for a campaign, all you'd need to do is copy-pasting and adjusting negative locations between campaigns.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cagri S 

I have the same problem with Adwords.

But your solution is very good I must say.

Can you contact me?

Erkin Ozkaya

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Erkin,

Sure, how can I contact you?

Experts in the Topic
Lakatos