AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Advanced Location Option issue

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm starting this thread in the hopes that the right people at the big G see it and make this seemingly simple change to the "Advanced location options".  If you agree this needs to be done - ad a comment.  

Currently - short of adding a negative keyword for every city that you don't want your ad to show up for - there is no way to allow your ad to show to someone who is sitting in your targeted location, but searching for your keyword with a geo modifier that is OUTSIDE of your targeted location.  

For example - I'm located in Tacoma, WA and I search for "Plumbers - Robbinsville, NJ" but I see ad's for plumbers in Tacoma.  This is a wasted impression and could lead to a lower CTR, lower QS, and ultimately a higher CPC.  It could also lead to irrelevant clicks.  

Sample Screenshot:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204159158881236&l=51337d0a82

This problem could be easily solved by adding a selection under the exclusion list that says "Exclude people searching for, or viewing information about my EXCLUDED location" (notice there is no "People IN" on this proposed selection?)  

If this were a third option under the exclusion options, it would be easy to eliminate these wasted impressions and wasted clicks.  You would simply include "people in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location" and you would select "Exclude people searching for, or viewing pages about my Excluded Location" and select the United States.  Your ad would not show to someone searching with a geo modifier.  

Another proposed solution would be to give more weight to the geo modifier when it's included in a search term.  At present - the weight appears to be given to the users physical location. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advanced Location Option issue

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You are correct;
However, since the introduction of "advanced targeting options" I recall only 2 requests for that. - So I assume this is not in the list of  priorities  of Google;
There are some techniques trying to bypass. (Target by intent and exclude Geo regions) - but as you correctly pointed out, there should be a "direct method" to do that.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I have to admit I've raised this question/option in the past.  I approached it in a slightly different way by suggesting that the Advanced targeting options should be available at the location level, rather than the Campaign level.  So, for example, I could then target people in the United States, who were searching for pages about California.  At present this isn't possible - you can only target CA and use the default option, then add exclusions for the rest of the planet apart from the US, which is time consuming, or target the whole US and use CA based location keywords (which is also lengthy).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@MosheTLV - I would suspect that the reason there has only been 2 requests for this is that people don't know it's happening.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
agree. Adwords needs to make work easier for marketers, after all advertising is moving to the internet and some simple options can maximise returns on advertising for marketers

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Muskrat37 ;

Why do you think that advertisers are not aware? If they try to target, using this  method  they should find themselves in the same situation (i.e. Unable to target)  and raise the issue - don't you think?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@MosheTLV - 2 reasons why I would think this...

1) - most people who create their own accounts and plug in a few keywords and a credit card never look at advanced options - let alone understand them...many never look at detailed reports.
2) - A LOT of users rely on large AdWords resellers and don't get access to their full reports...Unfortunately - these large re-sellers seem to have a goal of just spending whatever monthly budget was agreed upon by their customers... these customers tend to be ignorant, when it comes to Adwords. My guess would be they have no clue this is happening.

I realize I am speculating - but I've seen so many irrelevant ad's pop up that it seems to be a widespread problem...

Maybe I'm wrong - but I would guess most people have no clue.