AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads that show accruing from Competitor Brand KWs

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

On the Search Network...

As the title indicates I am curious as to best practices or strategies used by Adwords Community members as relates to the subset of targeting based on competitor brand KWs.

So, I am not looking for the 'catchy title, features/benefits, call to action' type of general best practices for text ads.  I am moreso curious if/how members craft text ads differently when it comes to a "competitor" AG, full of competitor branded KWs.

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Ads that show accruing from Competitor Brand KWs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I find subltelty works best.

1. Use DKI in ads if you really want their brand name to appear (not condoning this)
  2. Don't be slanderous - it's all too easy to say, "they suck, come with us". If you focus on your own USPs and value proposition you will prosper CTR wise
  3. Landing page - if you don't get the landing page right from the start your campaign will fail. It will get loads of impressions to begin with, then after about 48 hours Google will realise your site is nothing to do with that brand and will all of a sudden say, 'keywords not triggering ads due to low QS'. So make sure you write up a valid landing page per competitor / brand name. Again, this page does not have to be about slating your competition. You could make it a neutral article about various service providers in your idustry, or an objective comparison page for example. Comparison pages work well (as long as you come out of it favourably) for example, you could do a price comparison table of the same product service among your competitors and then let the users decide for themselves who is the best. By doing this you should also get decent LP QS as you will have mentioned the relevant brand name a few times in relevant context.

What do you think?

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 3
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi PPCBuilder, 

JackPorterSmith gave you some good advice. A few notes I would make. 

1- It is perfectly ok in an open market to have your competitors names as keywords, this is true regardless of if your competitors term is trademarks. A lot of advertisers do this and can get a good CTR without ever mentioning the competitor in the ad text itself. 

2- If your competitors company name is a trademark then please familiarise yourself with the trademark reseller and informational policy before putting the term in your ad text. 

3- If your competitors name is not a trademark you can use it in your ad but please familiarise yourself with the advertiser claims policy. In particular there is a section on that page about competitive language, if you claim in your ad you are 10% cheaper than a competitor the landing page needs to have evidence to support that or your ad would be disapproved. 

4- Finally my personal thoughts on this. You have limited space in an ad text to sell your business. Why spend that space highlighting another business when you could be talking about how great your business is. Maybe create two ads in the ad group, one with a competitor term and one without and examine CTR after a few weeks and see which one the user liked more. 

I hope this helps. 

Ita

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I find subltelty works best.

1. Use DKI in ads if you really want their brand name to appear (not condoning this)
  2. Don't be slanderous - it's all too easy to say, "they suck, come with us". If you focus on your own USPs and value proposition you will prosper CTR wise
  3. Landing page - if you don't get the landing page right from the start your campaign will fail. It will get loads of impressions to begin with, then after about 48 hours Google will realise your site is nothing to do with that brand and will all of a sudden say, 'keywords not triggering ads due to low QS'. So make sure you write up a valid landing page per competitor / brand name. Again, this page does not have to be about slating your competition. You could make it a neutral article about various service providers in your idustry, or an objective comparison page for example. Comparison pages work well (as long as you come out of it favourably) for example, you could do a price comparison table of the same product service among your competitors and then let the users decide for themselves who is the best. By doing this you should also get decent LP QS as you will have mentioned the relevant brand name a few times in relevant context.

What do you think?

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 3
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi PPCBuilder, 

JackPorterSmith gave you some good advice. A few notes I would make. 

1- It is perfectly ok in an open market to have your competitors names as keywords, this is true regardless of if your competitors term is trademarks. A lot of advertisers do this and can get a good CTR without ever mentioning the competitor in the ad text itself. 

2- If your competitors company name is a trademark then please familiarise yourself with the trademark reseller and informational policy before putting the term in your ad text. 

3- If your competitors name is not a trademark you can use it in your ad but please familiarise yourself with the advertiser claims policy. In particular there is a section on that page about competitive language, if you claim in your ad you are 10% cheaper than a competitor the landing page needs to have evidence to support that or your ad would be disapproved. 

4- Finally my personal thoughts on this. You have limited space in an ad text to sell your business. Why spend that space highlighting another business when you could be talking about how great your business is. Maybe create two ads in the ad group, one with a competitor term and one without and examine CTR after a few weeks and see which one the user liked more. 

I hope this helps. 

Ita

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I agree with previous suggestions..

What I do, during these conditions is - I emphasis highly on my best part and USPs. You can target your competitiors based on their positive parts and then theme ad groups based on that. Non in every ad group use an ad-copy which makes you better than your competitor..

Hope this will work.

Cheers

https://plus.google.com/110368026259310358330/posts