AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads that cannot be removed from obscuring desired content

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nothing can annoy and get a customer mad faster than an ad that sits on top of content they are trying to read, and refuses to leave regardless of which "x's" are clicked.

I saw the **bleep**ing ad.  I don't have a single means of getting it off the content I am trying to see.  There is no way to clear this ad.

Click here and you get a survey on how you like your ads delivered, and whether you want to discontinue "interest based ads".  Nothing you can click can get this obnoxious ad away from your face and blocking what you are searing for.  NOTHING!  After you answer the survey about getting your ad preferences modified, then the ad is right back there to get you even madder.  Can't scroll the content out from under it.   Just sits there blocking, blocking, blocking.

What Cro-Magnons idiot came up the concepts of this new way to infuriate customers as a marketing strategy? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads that cannot be removed from obscuring desired content

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Mark K,

I can imagine your frustration, as I've been through it a few times. I doubt if the ad was from AdWords, as they do not have a close (x) option on them. Could you provide a screenshot of the ad if possible? AdWords ads come with a blue triangle on the top right corner.

Speaking of other ads, you can install programs like ad block to get rid of them. However, bear in mind that it blocks all ads, including AdWords.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Re: Ads that cannot be removed from obscuring desired content

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Agree. You should be able to "exclude" an AdWords Ad.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know for certain that the ad I saw was a google ad.  I wish I had taken a screen shot.  Next time I will.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’