AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads showing and getting clicked on when there are none of the keywords in the matched search query

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had 2 clicks today. One is close to my keywords, but the other doesn't have any keywords and was still clicked.  The 2 clicks were for:

how to install kongdisk client

problem connecting to video server

The keywords in my account/ad group that received clicks were:

server help

server installation

This is all according to my analytics account.

Why would those search queries show my ads for those keywords?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Ads showing and getting clicked on when there are none of the keywords in the matched search que

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi juicebug,

Further to RBall's answer broad match is very broad and can match an single word in your keyword phrase.

Your broad match keywords: server help: server installation

Both queries both include the word server, which will match this keyword.

Using modified broad match:  +server + installation

The query would need to include both words (or variations of them or synonyms) to trigger yopur ad impression.

Same for: +server +installation

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Re: Ads showing and getting clicked on when there are none of the keywords in the matched search que

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Switch from broad match to modified broad match:

+server +help
+server +installation
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi juicebug,

Further to RBall's answer broad match is very broad and can match an single word in your keyword phrase.

Your broad match keywords: server help: server installation

Both queries both include the word server, which will match this keyword.

Using modified broad match:  +server + installation

The query would need to include both words (or variations of them or synonyms) to trigger yopur ad impression.

Same for: +server +installation

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So what you're saying is that the matched search query 'how to install kongdisk client' showed my ad because I have 'server INSTALLation' as a keyword and install is what made it show?  Does that also mean the query 'how to INSTALL hinges for my new shed I built from a kit' would also show my ad? 

If that's the case, is it best practice to always add a + before every single keyword I have?  It seems like it defeats the purpose of broad match altogether and that broad match should very seldom be used unless you're like ebay and have excess cash to burn.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

I rarely use standard broad match anymore.  IMHO, the modified broad match should be the default.  However, there are cases where you want to cast a broader net to discover new keywords.  If you do continue to use the standard broad match, consider setting the bid much lower than your phrase and exact matches.  You don't want to pay too much for stray search queries.  Also, check your search term reports on a regular basis and add negatives as needed.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

P.S. Make sure you understand how modified broad match works and how it differs from the default broad match.  See:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497702