AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads pointing to Facebook page

jdj
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
jdj
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was under the impression that you could create an Adword ad that directs to a Facebook page so long as you're transparent about it in your copy and URL. But Adwords has disapproved my ad doing so on grounds of Trademark terms. I inquired with Google and a legal rep said I needed Facebook's permission and provided the email address of a Facebook rep to ask. I did so and she said, "You will need to initiate your request with your Facebook account manager." But we don't have a FB account manager.

This seems a cumbersome, and unecessarily human-based process. Has anyone else been able to jump through the proper hoops?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Ads pointing to Facebook page

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You cannot use "Facebook" in the ad copy as it is trademarked. 2 options:

1) Remove "facebook" form your ad copy and re-submit the ads - very easy!

2) Get permission from Facebook to use that term in your ad - could take a while and not guaranteed

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jdj,

Since you're mentioning trademark violations gut feeling is that the term facebook comes up in the ad copy, right? If that is the case the answer you got sounds plausible.

Else I can't see a reason why you should not be allowed to link the ad to a FB page. To verify it, I quickly created an ad linked to a FB page in my own experimental account and it was accepted as eligible right away.

I'd note that there might be various efficieny problems  with a FB Landing Page. You'll be competing with every one else linking the ad copy to a FB page and only one of yourselves will be selected by Google to show the ad. On top of that some FB pages can't be seen unless the user logs into FB.

Best,

Lakatos

jdj
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
jdj
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, to be transparent, my ad copy says "Like us on Facebook" and the display URL is facebook.com/10x10act.

I just changed the copy, but kept the URL as above and it's now eligible. Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You cannot use "Facebook" in the ad copy as it is trademarked. 2 options:

1) Remove "facebook" form your ad copy and re-submit the ads - very easy!

2) Get permission from Facebook to use that term in your ad - could take a while and not guaranteed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello -- I have a somewhat of a similar problem...I don't have the facebook logo or text facebook listed anywhere in my ad copy.

However, my display url is my facebook page url and my destination url is a facebook page tab app url where I want the users to land.

So for ex: display url is www.facebook.com/xyz and destination url is www.facebook.com/xyz?sk=app_2394824

Now that facebook page tab is a php page hosted on a different server since facebook does not allow you to host pages on their server.

So, my ad got disapproved stating that the re-direct facebook is making to my other server to render the page is a violation of adwords policy.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi -- I don't know how to solve this but I think pointing the destination page to photo album page could be also another good choice. Since you can put the relative keyword on the title of album, description, put the attractive image and can let visitors comment below. Cat Very Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has this been the same difficulty

jdj wrote:

I was under the impression that you could create an Adword ad that directs to a Facebook page so long as you're transparent about it in your copy and URL. But Adwords has disapproved my ad doing so on grounds of Trademark terms. I inquired with Google and a legal rep said I needed Facebook's permission and provided the email address of a Facebook rep to ask. I did so and she said, "You will need to initiate your request with your Facebook account manager." But we don't have a FB account manager.

This seems a cumbersome, and unecessarily human-based process. Has anyone else been able to jump through the proper hoops?

in 2015?

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new question related to this topic, please start a new thread.

Thanks!