AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads not showing with radius targetting set

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a campaign set with radius targetting to 40km around the Sunshine Coast in Australia. I have not included any location terms in my keywords (as I understand this restricts volume too much on such a small targetted area). However my ads are not showing.

If the search query includes a location term such as sunshine coast, then it states

Your Ad is not Showing:

Because your query included location terms, ads matching this location are shown: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

If the search query doesn't include a location term, then it states

Your Ad is not Showing:

Your ads are set to show only to users in the locations you've chosen.

I am wondering if this is a result of technical limitations of mapping IP addresses in Australia.

Appreciate any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads not showing with radius targetting set

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi EliseB,

What AdWords is saying there is that it doesn't think the "sunshine coast" is within your 40km radius.  It's matching "sunshine coast" to Brisbane and (presumbaly) you haven't targeted Brisbane specifically.

Location targeting is far from perfect (especially outside the US) and the smaller the targeted area the bigger the problems seem to be.  Yes, at least part of this could be IP based, but it may simply also be the linking internally to Google between names and radii.

What's the nature of your business.  If it's specific to the sunshine coast (e.g. you're a hotel there) I'd be inclined to use these location terms and choose a larger, predifined, target such as Queensland or indeed the whole of Australia.  If it's just your business location and the business could be anywhere (e.g. you're a takeaway pizza restaurant) then location targeting as you're doing it may give better results in the long run - once you've got the targeting working well.

Are you seeing any stats in your AdWords interface for impressions/clicks?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, thanks for your prompt reply. The business is for a company that cleans exteriors of buildings. It is a small business that only services the Sunshine Coast region. They don't service Brisbane (even though that is the nearest capital city).

The campaign has been live for 4 days & has had virtually 0 impressions.

Appreciate if you could advise the best targeting option based on this. Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi EliseB, hmm, in this situation I probably would have gone for a radius option myself but I think you're going to need to experiment.

I'd try having another Campaign that is targeted using location Keywords such as "sunshine coast" or any others that are really unique.  Keep the 40km one going as well but make sure this doesn't include any location based Keywords.  Give them time to accrue some data - maybe a week or so - and then compare.

Make sure you look at the search terms being used to trigger your Ads and include any negative keywords you may need to keep the focus tight.  You may also wish to use "sunshine coast" (and others) as negatives in the radius based Campaign but personally I'd just see what happens for a day or so before doing this.

What sort of Keywords are you using.  Are they broad enough?  Getting no impressions at all in 4 days seems a bit strange...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Jon for your feedback.

I have set up a seperate campaign with keywords containing locations and set the targetting to all of QLD. Its early days, but already there are impressions showing already (not many, but some....I will just have to monitor the volume) so it seems to be working.

The Adwords technical support told me that Sunshine coast as a location has not been mapped and they are working on this and Maps as a product is evolving. When a user searches with the term Sunshine coast the term gets matched to Brisbane as that is the nearest city.

So I also changed the setting of the radius campaign to target the suburbs that are mapped by Google, and set the radius targetting to 50km around on of those mapped cities. I'm not sure that this has made any difference, but I will monitor and see.

I think I may need to add the locations as negatives to the radius based campaign, as I think currently I have keywords bidding against each other.

Many thanks again for your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I figured out the problem with the radius targetting....because the location I selected to be my radius 'Sunshine Coast' was not a mapped location by Google, it couldn't identify anywhere in my radius. I changed the pinpoint of the radius to be from a suburb (Buderim) within the Sunshine Coast that was mapped by Google and now the ads are showing.

Plus I still have the campaign set up with location keywords.....so I think I now need to add all the locations as negatives