AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads not showing on Gmail

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have one campaign of managed placements that has stopped showing ads on Gmail. 

I used to get millions of impressions from gmail across 5 ad groups, but all the impressions stopped at once, three weeks ago. 

I've gone over everything I can think of, including raising bids as high as $30 just to make sure that's not the issue, but still no impressions. I also made sure I haven't excluded the site from any of the ad groups/campaign.

My other placements are receiving impressions as usual, and I'm also getting Gmail impressions as usual in other campaigns targeting other countries...

Any idea what this could be? 

Thanks 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads not showing on Gmail

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello again PPCer;

How are targeting on this campaign? (your settings on campaign tab)

• Broad reach: Show ads on pages that match my primary targeting method

OR

• Specific reach: Show ads only on pages that match all my targeting methods
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

I'm targeting specific reach, and I have keywords and placements in each ad group.
I haven't made any changes to the keywords or placements in the last couple of months...

Thanks
Gilad

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi PPCer,

how are you accessing your account?

Maybe the account got suspended. If you acess through MCC you would not see the red notification bar in some cases.

You can check that if you log in as the main client or activate all notifications in the account preferences.

2. Is there any balloon-info for the keywords given?

- T

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ArneTR,

The account is not suspended, in fact the same ad groups are getting impressions and clicks on other placements, just not on gmail. 

There's no balloon info, seems they got rid of it in the new display interface. But all the KW and ads appear as "eligible". 

I just got a response from a Google rep, saying my CTR was probably too low, which brought down my ad rank to a point where I'm not getting imps. He said I should try to get to a CTR higher than 1% (!!!) so that my ads will appear again. 

Two problems: 

1. never heard of anyone getting a CTR of 1% in Gmail, especially not in the finance industry. 
  2. I can't show my ads even with a bid of $30, so I can't even try to reach a better CTR again. 

Any ideas? :-)

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I do not think that the ads stopped because of your low CTR.

A stop because of CTR happens gradually and not instant.

However, if you want to try to adress this problem: Create a new adgroup, maybe same keywords, but different ad-text and maybe different landing page.

You account history will drag you possibility of showing down by some amount but you will most likely have a fresh start in the new adgroup.

Second option would be to switch to CPM for a while. Not an expert on CPM bidding, but you AdRank is calculated different for CPM bids

Re:Where your ad can appear on the Display Network depending on your targeting methods

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

PPCer;

So you have BOTH keywords and placements in your targeting method?

check this table

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Re:Where your ad can appear on the Display Network depending on your targeting methods

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Moshe - yes, I'm targeting placements and keywords together, on purpose. 

So I have Gmail in a few different ad groups, each one with different KWs and (hopefully) relevant ads.  

ArneTR - I did as you suggested and created another ad group, let's see hwo it performs. 

Thanks all for the advice. 

Re: Re:Where your ad can appear on the Display Network depending on your targeting methods

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

PPCer;

Another "quick one" before bringing up my suggestion: do you run remarketing on this campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I have a remarketing campaign, but it doesn't get any impressions from Gmail if that was the direction...