AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads not displaying for Eligible keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We run a few dozen AdWords accounts for very similar businesses (they're all veterinary practices). As a result, all our AdWords accounts are structurally very similar, and the results we expect from them are within a certain range.

However in the last 6 months one of our accounts has been performing really badly, with much lower CTR, low goal conversion, and high cost, compared to ALL our other accounts.

There is one particular ad group which is usually one of the best-performing in EVERY one of our other accounts, except in this account it's the worst-performing - it generates next to no impressions.

We've been fiddling around with the account settings for about 3 months to no avail.

/rant

Today's actual question is - why do my keywords, which are listed as Eligible (i.e. bid price and quality score are reasonable), still not trigger my ads? Screen shot attached:

Screen-Shot-2016-05-23-at-3.56.30-pm

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads not displaying for Eligible keywords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Shannon,

You can run keywords diagnosis tool and check what is the exact reason for not showing your ads and optimize accordingly (Create Text Ads accordingly for more relevancy between keywords & Text Ads and increase bid).

Or

I will recommend to you please restructure you Ad Group as per below (if you have not done as per below) Create Text Ads accordingly for more relevancy between keywords & Text Ads and increase bid.

Ad Group - Vet Armadale
Keywords - vet armadale, vet hospital armadale

Ad Group - Vet Camberwell
Keywords - vet camberwell

Ad Group - Vet Hospital Windsore
Keywords - vet hospital windsore

Ad Group - Vet Hospital Glen Iris
Keywords - vet hospital geln iris

and you can use ad group level vice versa negative keywords in exact match type.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Anand

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I think your best bet to try and improve performance, under the current QS (=6), is to raise the bid for that specific KW.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had already run the Keyword Diagnostics tool as Anand suggested, which just said those keywords were not triggering ads due to "low bid or quality score" which isn't very specific. The quality scores were already average - read: fine - so I doubled the bids for those keywords listed as "eligible" from $5 to $10, as per MosheTLV's suggestion.

At the same time, I edited my ads to use Dynamic Keyword Insertion in the headlines.

I'm not sure what action it was that has done it, but suddenly my ads went from generating no impressions to actually getting impressions. Perhaps it's the DKI that made the ads more "relevant" to the keywords, or perhaps it was the editing of the ads that got Google to review them and fix some other hidden problem. Here's the Impressions chart - you can clearly see the difference between "before" and "after":

Interestingly, the keywords that were "Eligible" at $5 are still "Eligible" at $10 but are now generally triggering ads. HOWEVER none of them actually cost more than $4 per click - and have an average position of between 1 and 1.5. See:

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Well... If you set a higher bid this improves the ad-rank and allows the ad to win a slot in the auction...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Shannon, You can bid high of those keywords.
This is the only option.

Few weeks before i faced the same issue. After increse bid it'll run.

Thanks
Ashwani Kuma