AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads at the bottom of the page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone know why the hell my ads have started appearing right at the bottom of the page? Impressions are roughly the same but it's floored my click through rate.

This has reduced our conversion rate big time, WT* is going on? It's costing us money.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads at the bottom of the page

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Ausername,

Last Adwords made this change, which can show your ad on bottom of search page. Google has found that displaying ads below search results fits better into the user's flow as they scan the page from top to bottom. On average, this placement performed better than side ads in terms of click-through rate in our tests.

Kindly read the Google adwords blog post to know more about ads on bottom placement.

Dinesh
My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, I can't believe this is thought of as a good idea.

These are me stats for a 7 day period last month :-

Clicks: 510

Imp: 13,210

CTR: 3.86%

Conversions: 50

These are the stats from a 7 day period last week (this started happening just before that).

Clicks: 220

Imp: 13,166

CTR: 1.67%

Conv: 10

Is there anything I can do? Seriously, because this is a disaster.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update, 

Ads now showing at top of page since I altered some campaign settings.

CTR and conversions now more or less back to normal, proof if any was needed that bottom showing ads are a waste of time.

Incidentaly, during this period my adwords spend had pretty much halved, probaby should take note, Google.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

ausername,

I agree the bottom of the page position stinks.  I experienced very low CTR when a clients ads started getting served below the organic results.  It would not be so bad if the ads were positioned with results on the top and all the way down the side and also the bottom but instead their results were NO top - NO side - JUST bottom of the page which was a total disaster IMHO Smiley Happy

Glad you are doing better tho Smiley Wink

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"NO top - NO side - JUST bottom"

That's what was happening to me. Although things are "normal" now.

I found the top vs others segment, here are some more stats for another keyword.

ClicksImpressionsCTRPositionConversions
Google search: Top 255 5,184 4.92% 1 9
Google search: Other 187,6780.23%1.1 0

Absolutley terrible difference between top vs bottom.  This has cost me money in lost sales and shaken my trust in Google to provide a reliable service.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh that table looks terrible, Reposted.

Google search: Top

Clicks: 255

Impressions: 5,184

CTR:  4.92%

Position: 1

Convertinos: 9

Google search: Other (Bottom)

Clicks: 18

Impressions: 7,678

CTR:0.23%

Position: 1.1

Conversions: 0

The difference is quite staggering

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Glad you got it sorted!!  Which changes did you make in your campaign to get the ads to the top again?  I've been relegated to bottom and it sucks!  I've upped our Max CPC rate - anything else you can recommend?

Any advice would be most appreciated!!

L.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ausername wrote:

Update, 

Ads now showing at top of page since I altered some campaign settings.

CTR and conversions now more or less back to normal, proof if any was needed that bottom showing ads are a waste of time.

Incidentaly, during this period my adwords spend had pretty much halved, probaby should take note, Google.

What was it that you changed in your campaign? The details would be much appreciated. 

I've been subjected to the bottom of the page and for the longest time thought my adds weren't running at all. 

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's an idea, why don't you share your solution with people, **bleep** is with some people!