AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads appear correct but linking to a broken link?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

We recently changed our domain address and as such I have changed all of our ads to reflect this. The ads that appear on Google are showing the correct address: www.abilitymatters.co.uk/Prosthetics, but when you click on it, it links back to our old website which no longer works. I have changed the destination url, and the ads are working correctly according to Google. I tested it within adwords and it goes to the correct link, it is just when we try on actual Google that the link fails.

We have tried on several computers/browers so this is definitely not an individual issue.

I also changed several other of our ad groups, for example www.abilitymatters.co.uk/Orthotics, and these are working fine.

How can we fix this asap?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AM123
September 2015

Re: Ads appear correct but linking to a broken link?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi AM,

My best guess is that the phenomenon should be caused by so-called keyword level Destination URLs which are known to overwrite the Destination URL specified in the ad copy. You're advised to drill down to your keywords, select the ones in question and press the Spreadsheet edit menu item on the Edit dropdown. Keyword level Destination URLs should be found in column *D* of the sheet. Make the necessary adjustments and save your changes.

My 2c.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Please follow the suggestion of Lakatos . This can be an issue with keywords level destination url.
You can also check you sitelinks.
You can use adwords editor to fix these all easily.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi AM,

My best guess is that the phenomenon should be caused by so-called keyword level Destination URLs which are known to overwrite the Destination URL specified in the ad copy. You're advised to drill down to your keywords, select the ones in question and press the Spreadsheet edit menu item on the Edit dropdown. Keyword level Destination URLs should be found in column *D* of the sheet. Make the necessary adjustments and save your changes.

My 2c.

Best,

Lakatos

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi AM123,

Welcome To the community

When you have made the changes in your account?

Generally when you make some changes in your account it need some to get fit with the update.(if you set up your dispaly url & destination url properly and your ads are approved to run on google network)

I think it will fix automatically.

Just my thoughts.The other community members can give you more suggestions.

Regards,

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies and the help!

Lakatos, I did as you suggested and the destination url in the spreadsheet came up as our old link. I've now changed this so fingers crossed it works!

Thanks again for the help.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Please follow the suggestion of Lakatos . This can be an issue with keywords level destination url.
You can also check you sitelinks.
You can use adwords editor to fix these all easily.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The ads are now working, thanks Lakatos!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Glad to hear that. You are most welcome...Smiley LOL