AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ads and keywords mismatch

elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.

I am running an ad group with a handful of keywords and a handful of ads. I figured I didn't need to get more granular than that, but I am seeing weird mismatches between the ads and the keywords.

These are education products, so I have ads mentioning specific grade levels. So for example, I may have an ad for "grade 7 widgets" (along with a few other, different ads) and I have keywords for "grade 7 widgets" along with some different but similar keywords. I also have the same thing but with 6 and 8.

So if I do a search for "grade 7 widgets" I see one of my ads appear: "grade 6 widgets."

Why wouldn't AdWords match the numbers? Do I really need to make a different ad group for each grade level?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads and keywords mismatch

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Elm,

Any eligible active ad within an adgroup is eligible to be shown if a keyword within that adgroup is matched to a search query and wins an ad slot on the SERP.

Short answer, yes, if you want to control what your ads are being show for, you must control the keywords these ads are attached to by using separate ad groups.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
elm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, PPCBossman.

I appreciate the answer, but I don't like it. Smiley Happy

I see my competitors hitting on these terms, with a vast array of grade levels and long tails. Does this imply that they have enormous sets of ad groups?

I am trying to figure out how it is possible to do that practically. It seems like such a huge amount of manual labor to recreate basically identical content over and over with one character changed. (I kinda thought Google was smarter than that... computers supposed to automate things and all.)

So anyway, is there a practical way to get this done?

Is there perhaps a best practice and/or tools? Will AdWords Editor automate some of this creation/management?

Thanks again.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Elm,

I understand. 

I think you'll find though, that the more organized your account structure is, the easier it is to manage and optimize over time.  You'll also see better results as you really want the most relevant ads being displayed for your keywords.

Yes, Adwords Editor will be helpful as you can copy/paste ads and ad groups etc...there are also bulk edit tools available as well.  Automated, not so much but helpful to what you are tying to accomplish, very much so.

Here is a good read about account structure written by ScottyD - A Senior Member here.

Try also browsing the Wiki articles (in the top nav menu) - and also searching here on the community for other ideas.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an account which has many campaign, each campaign = each country. In a country has many cities. If I create ad groups for those cities. How AdWords knows which city are match with ads (keywords are same all cities) ? 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi KhanhLa,

You can use location targeting to determine where ads should be shown.

Here are a couple of links for you.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6317

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722043

Hope this helps!

-Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi elm

In addition to Tom's answers, you might want to look into this discussion, on what happens when several keywords match the search query. It seems to me, that this is what you encounter (with "grade 7 widget" and "grade 6 widget")

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi elm,

You might give the AdWords editor a try. It will allow you to copy ad groups and entire campaigns. Setup one grade level ad group, then copy it to a new group and just change the grade level indicator.

You'll still need to be careful with this, as a keyword with a higher QS in an ad group other than the indende ad group could steal the impressions. To avoid this, you could add "grade 7" as a negative to the groups of grade 1 through grade 6, as so forth for the other groups. If your keywords all include the grade level, you could ad "grage 7" as negative phrase match once to each group and help steer the impression toward the right group.

I would also create at least one ad group that does not specify grade level to catch queries that do not include grade level.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

ts1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
ts1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if I quite understand. Are these ads running in different AGs? If not it will simply randomly allocate the ads to the query. The two possible solutions are to create different AGs in broad match modifier, where you can tailor the ad text to the keyword more accurately without the risk of it triggering an ad from a different AG as it will have to match all of the keywords to trigger your ad.

Alternatively, you could use dynamic keyword insertion to make sure that the keyword triggered is the one that displays in the ad text. Your headline would then read something like {KeyWord:What You'd Want to Say If The Keyword Is Too Long}. This way, the keyword that is triggered will appear in the ad text, and if it's too long your alternative text would appear.

Hope this helps.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Elm

As an advertiser you are right when you question that why a keyword "grade 7 widgets" (lets say,the one in your case) is triggering an irrelevant ad or why is it triggering a wrong ad (according to you) when there is a relevant ad present for the same keyword.

My comrades have already given you some reference articles which will help you understand more about how keywords within an ad group or within multiple ad groups trigger ads. To sum up, there can be only 1 eligible keyword for an ad in an account at a time ( in each auction to be precise).

In you case, the best practise would be to segment those "widgets" by their grade in different ad groups, ie.

* Ad group 1-  "grade 6 widgets" with keywords related to it (grade6)

* Ad group 2-  "grade 7 widgets" with keywords related to it (grade7)

And so on.....

Even when you do so you will find that a keyword "grade 6 widget" might trigger an ad from a different ad group (lets say the grade 7 widget ad). This is again because how google matches a single keyword at a time with one ad in the account.

To correctly target your ads for relevant keywords, in the negative keywords list of each ad group add the "grade number" (6,7,8 and so on) for which you dont want to show you ads present in that ad group.

To make it simple, for ad group 1 you can keep "7,8...." in its negative keywords list. This would specify that you dont want the ads in ad group 1 ( grade 6 widgets) to be triggered by search terms which has those unwanted grade numbers(7,8...) in them.

Follow this practise for each of your different ad groups.

The second thing which you could use is  Broad Match Modifier in your keywords

In each ad group use the "+" sign before the grade number (6,7,8...) in the keywords.

Like for Ad group 1 use the keyword "grade +6 widgets". Follow the same for other ad groups. This would again specify that your ads are triggered by relevant keywords (which have your desired grade number in them).

In this practise you would be saved from adding all the unwanted grade numbers in the negative lists of different ad groups (if you have a large number of ad groups).

Broad Match Modifier provides you with better control than broad match match type but with a wider reach than a phrase match type which I guess is a thing which you desire.

Hope this helps. Do share if you are benefited by any of this.

Best

Mudit