AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adding keyword to destination URL for tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I want to add a keyword tag to the destination URL of an ad so that I can know from which keyword they came from.

Is it only possible to do it at a keyword level or is there some kind of dynamic tag that I can add to the destination URL of the Ad?

Thank You.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Adding keyword to destination URL for tracking

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi RamiC,

You have it right. {keyword} will place the keyword on which you bid in the url. You don't need to make one for each keyword, this will do it automatically.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi RamiC

Great question!

There's a way you would be able to do this via Keyword Level Destination URLs. These types of URLs allow you to have specific URLs for each keyword (you could take the user to a particular product specifically about that Keyword for example) which you could be able to append tracking parameters to. Bear in mind that the top level and 2nd level domain will still need to match that of your ads. 

Hope this helps!

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Alys, Thank you for your quick response.

My objective is to be able to know which keyword led to this visit without using Google Analytics or Google Adwords. I want to have this data on the website.

Which parameter would I have to append to the url?

Does it have to be www.site.com/index.php?keyword={keyword} ? Should the {keyword} be placed with the actual keyword or will it be done automatically?

Thank You.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi RamiC and welcome,

You might be interested in looking at Value Track parameters which is a great URL tagging feature and allows to see various forms of data by appending the URLs using different parameters. See this article for more details.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi RamiC,

You have it right. {keyword} will place the keyword on which you bid in the url. You don't need to make one for each keyword, this will do it automatically.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Just to be 100% sure - the {keyword} value track parameter inserts the keyword that triggered the ad ("the keyword on which you bid") OR the actual search term used by the user?

If it is not the actual search term how can I get this directly in the URL as well? (and not by adwords reporting).

Thanks.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Easy I

It's true that you can't track the exact user search query from this keyword value parameter. But you can always look for the search terms reports to see what exactly a user searched and which keyword triggered that.

Please go through the following link to know about search term report;-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708

Hope this make sense!

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi easy I,

It's better to start a new thread with a new question. Yes, {keyword} inserts the keyword on which you bid. There is no reliable way to get the actual search term, not in the URL and not in the referrer data. You can only get the composite view of the data with the search terms report, but you can not get that for an individual click.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks.
That is too bad.
We are collecting leads and would really want to know what search term each lead came from.
Running a report later on will not help us.
Thanks anyway.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Easy... if you have the conversion tag for AdWords enabled on your website, for every lead submitted it should fire results back to AdWords. Then from the "Dimensions" tab, drop down that states "day" and change it to "search terms", you can see the exact search query that generated a lead.

The results are delayed about 2 days to record conversions, but it helps tremendously when doing optimization of converting terms.