AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Add code from Adwords to make Analytics Remarketing work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Second question of the day!

I just discovered that I can build remarketing lists using Analytics as well as Adwords.

Trying to work this out has really made my head hurt!

Do I just link my Analytics account for each property (I have many) to my Adwords account - and that's it?

Assume that all the properties do NOT have current Adwords remarketing code on them. Do I need to add that or is it done somehow by Analytics magic?

Does my question even make sense?

Many thanks.

Ian

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Left H
September 2015

Re: Add code from Adwords to make Analytics Remarketing work?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ian.
Great questions with nice easy answers.

You need to do TWO things to enable remarketing using GA lists. The first is to link your AdWords account to each view. The second and most important thing to do is modify your GA snippet. It's just one line and you can find out how to do it here - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872

Alternatively, you can use Google Tag Manager which does it all automatically for you.

Regarding your last question, the answer is no. You don't need to add AdWords remarketing tags to use GA remarketing.

GA remarketing is incredibly powerful and allows you to create lists based on custom segments. Far better than rule based lists in AdWords. Up until a few weeks ago it was terrible and didn't work with universal analytics. Now, it's pretty awesome. The increase in conversions we're seeing for our clients (view through and direct) is pretty astonishing. I thought it was a problem with tracking initially but it really works well.

I know it's difficult to get your head around it but trust me, it's worth it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dave

That is very helpful - I think I get it now.

Much appreciated.

Ian

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Ian.
Glad to hear that. Let us know if you have any more questions.