AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords keeps deleting my keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have a problem. When I add new keywords in an adgroup and change keywords match type via dropdown, google deletes my keywords! The keywords cannot be restored so I have to readd them. If I try to do change mytch typse again, it does it again. I really hate this, because it does not give me the option to optimise campaing.

Please, help.

Thanks, 

Manca

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Manca
September 2015

Re: AdWords keeps deleting my keywords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Manca, Google does not "delete keywords" because it raises the QS, this would be a nonsense.  What is happening is that when you change a match type the existing keyword is effectively deleted and a new one inserted with the new match type.  The new match type may well result in an improved Quality Score.

For example, let's say you have only one keyword in a group:

red shoes

as a BROAD match type.  If you go into your account and change the match type to phrase, you'll then have two keywords in your group:

"red shoes"

red shoes

Where the original broad match type keyword is now shown as deleted.  This is normal and expected behaviour for Adwords.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Manca,

First thing to note is that whenver you include keywords inside ad group of a campaign, by default the broad match is selected by Adwords and keyword is inserted with a broad match type. 

Now if you go on to edit that particular keyword match type by selecting the drop down box, the keyword will be replaced with a new match type which you select. By doing this, past history associated with that particular match type of the same keyword will be lost and Adwords will treat that new match type as a new keyword. 

It's better that you keep in mind which match types you want to start with initially so that you don't actually lose the historical info related with that keyword.

One way could be is to either enter the keywords with all match types (like broad, phrase and exact), so that once data is accumulated, you could pause the non performing and keep the high performing match types within that ad group.

Another way could be to create separate match type ad groups for the same keyword and optimize the campaign accordingly based on which match type is performing well and which is worst.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, Pankaj!

Actually, that is just what I did - I entered all 3 match types in the same ad geoup and then changed each keywords and its match type. I do this because many times it helps with better quality score. This si creepy, google just decides to delete them ... better said, they disappear and I have to turn on the "All keywords" instead of "All keywords but deleted" to find them Smiley Happy

What do you suggest?

Manca

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again,

I entered all 3 match types in the same ad geoup and then changed each keywords and its match type. I do this because many times it helps with better quality score.

I am not actually sure what you mean by this?

But let me explain what I meant in my older post in first suggestion out of 2. Let's say you have a keyword walk in cooler. I meant in my post to introduce walk in cooler (broad), "walk in cooler" (phrase) and [walk in cooler] (exact) in a single ad group. Then see how it goes with all 3 match types and if later let's say broad is not working fine, simply pause it and keep the rest ones (i.e phrase and exact matches). That's it...

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I was obiously not clear enough. It is exactly what I did - I put all 3 match types in the same ad group. But then I changed each one of them in the ad group with the drop down menu to differ the match type. I have noticed many times that this raises QS significantly. I do not know how but it does. And because of this google deletes keywords.

I hope I clarified the problem...

Manca

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Manca
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Manca, Google does not "delete keywords" because it raises the QS, this would be a nonsense.  What is happening is that when you change a match type the existing keyword is effectively deleted and a new one inserted with the new match type.  The new match type may well result in an improved Quality Score.

For example, let's say you have only one keyword in a group:

red shoes

as a BROAD match type.  If you go into your account and change the match type to phrase, you'll then have two keywords in your group:

"red shoes"

red shoes

Where the original broad match type keyword is now shown as deleted.  This is normal and expected behaviour for Adwords.

Does this help?

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Jon, hi!

I guess this explains the behaviour. Helps a lot! But in my case, the remaining keywords get the lower QS, unfortunatelly. 

I will try one more time in a different ad group.

Really appreciate the effort!

Manca

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Manca,

I think what we're trying to tell you here is instead of creating the keyword then changing the match type, create new keywords of the match type you desire.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Manca, couple of things to think about here.

First off, Adwords isn't the fastest animal on the planet.  When you make changes - any changes - to your account/campaign/ group, you need to allow time to examine and measure those changes.  You may well see the "new" keywords have a lower QS, but this could simply be because they're new - historical performance is a key factor in QS.

It could also be that your "new" keywords are less relevant than the old ones.  It's hard for us to give accurate advice without knowing a lot more about your business and account structure.

Don't forget also the relationship between keywords and your ads.  When you change your keywords, do you look at your ads as well?

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey,

actually I have noticed that it changes QSs regardless of the ads. I do not change them meanwhile. 

I know you cannot give the accurate advice, but i thank you all fot effort. You have been helpful. Smiley Happy

Have a nice day,

Manca