AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords for Video Demographic targeting

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am little confused about the targeting in AdWords for Video. When I start a new Targeting Group all sexes and ages are choosen by default. So what happens if I choose not to target any or some of those groups, even the "unknown" group? I tried campaigns with and without those choosen, I really can´t see any difference in reach...

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords for Video Demographic targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David, I'm not sure I understand the question.  If you choose to target only Male, your videos will be shown only to those users who have their profile set as "Male", same for female.  Unknown would be used where no details were available.

I've always found the "Reach" data to be very approximate and to have some pretty weird behaviours so I tend to ignore it most of the time Smiley Happy

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David;

I don't much trust those demographic data. Though, when you open a YouTube account Google asks for more detailed personal info. (This was in the "old days", the source for Google to get the user's birth date, and close his/ her Gmail account, if age did not meet the minimum age set  by Gmail TOS.)

If you did not check / choose any. Did you get any impressions at all?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Sorry for being somewhat diffuse.

I never have used sex and age as stand alone targeting, and I mostly use A f V for re-marketing only, so the question could be more precisely like this: if I de-select any or all of those demographic target groups, can that limit the reach of my (re-marketing) campaigns?

or: if I select any of those groups, can that broaden my reach to include people who are not on my remarketing list?

And I guess the question applies to all sorts of targeting combinations, not only re-marketing / demographic

Checking just one of my account with A f V, I can see a very small part (3-15%) is "unknown" for sex and age group. That´s interesting ...

(by the way, please let someone have a look at the swedish translation of this interface, it doesn´t make sense to have impressions in 2 colunms, also I think "Mål" is a confusing translation of Target)

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

If you did not check / choose any. Did you get any impressions at all?

Yes, but I am not sure it´s as many as it could be

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi David, my understanding is that the options are "cumulative", that is if you choose Male as a demographic as well as an AdWords Remaketing list, you'll target only the men on that list.  (In fact I think it will be only those people who have definitively stated male or female, so won't include the unknowns).

In theory, if you choose a demographic and a remarketing list, you should see these two options under the Venn diagram, along with their intersection.  Is this not what you're seeing?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

if you choose a demographic and a remarketing list, you should see these two options under the Venn diagram, along with their intersection.  Is this not what you're seeing?

Yes, but the estimated reach stays at <250 whatever I change (is that 250 000?)

And the Venn-diagram doesn´t change at all

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I discussed that with Calin a few weeks ago. Apparently with remarketing and demographic the "OR" condition applies;

The targeted group is not the "overlapping group" of the targeting audiences (like in remarketing and topics - for example): The targeted audience is the population of all "targeting audiences" available

I asked Calin yesterday to comment here, but it seems that he did not see my ping. I will ping him again.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe,

but if my reach was my remarketing list OR people who´s age is in the age 18 - unknown OR man or woman - I think my amount impressions should be much, much higher.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi guys. Sorry, but I've never used AdWords for video. If targeting for afv is different in any way from a regular display campaign (on mobile now, can't check), I canno comment.

It's identical to an image ads campaign, then I can give it a shot later on.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.