AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords editor 11.5.7 on a mac unable to download any accounts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I installed the new version of AdWords editor 11.5.7 on my mac today. Now I can't download any accounts. After a long wait I get [0] connection closed. Anyone else come across this and better still have you found a way round the problem?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords editor 11.5.7 on a mac unable to download any accounts.

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
It sounds like you're having a general connectivity problem to adwords.google.com, or perhaps there's an issue with a proxy configuration.

Can you browse to https://adwords.google.com/protoapi/cm/CampaignService.get

You can also try running the previous version still installed on your system.

From Finder, control-click on /Applications/Google AdWords Editor.app and pick Show Package Contents. This will show you a Contents folder. Expand that and you'll see Versions, which should contain 11.4.3.0/Google AdWords Editor.app.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I can browse to https://adwords.google.com/protoapi/cm/CampaignService.get
I do not use any proxies.
I was advised by Google to do a complete uninstall of all versions of AdWords Editor and then reinstall, so I no longer have previous versions.
After the download account fails, I have an empty account in my view. Here I can add a new campaign, pause it and post it live. So I can’t download data but I can upload data.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
I downloaded all 27 accounts under your MCC without issue, from 11.5.7 (quite possible it's not one of those accounts giving problem)

It's easy enough to install an older version, however it's unlikely the issue is due to some change in 11.5.7.

What you need to do at this point is enable diagnostic logging as described in the following (don't worry about zipping the files for transmission):
https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/94249?hl=en

Then try re-downloading the offending account. Once you hit the error you should disable logging (leaving it on will seriously degrade performance).

Your error should appear at the end of the file named ape_network_log.log. Assuming there's no PII, you can reply here, or submit the file at https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/contact/awe_gen

Ignore any boilerplate responses similar to the inexplicable uninstall/reinstall dispensed without any real consideration of the problem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The last few lines are as follows. I'll submit the file via the link as well.

serviceName: "LogService"
changeIdBefore: 0
customerVersionAfter: 0
changeIdAfter: 0
customerVersionBefore: 0
rollbackRecorded: false
retryableAuthError: false
}
[RESPONSE]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've borrowed an old laptop and this works fine on the same network. It's just the mac version that isn't working for me.

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
We have your log file. There's indication that you got some data back, then the connection was summarily closed.

Can you try installing 11.5.7 on the old laptop and see if that works? If it does, it could be an issue with other machine's physical network interfaces.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm using 11.5.7 on the old laptop as I need to get ETAs uploaded. However I do all my other work on my Mac, so this isn't a long term solution.

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
If 11.5.7 works on one machine, but not the other, I'd look at the machine as having the problem, and not the software. Have you tried rebooting the machine giving issue? While I put that suggestion in the same class as uninstall/reinstall, it occasionally works.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have rebooted more in the last 24 hours than in the last 12 months! It just seems strange that it was working Tuesday, then I upgraded editor and now it doesn't work. I work from a small home office, nothing else has changed.