AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords changing Targeting Options for Gmail Sponsored Promotions?

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

I recently got an alert from AdWords saying my Gmail Sponsored Promotion ads were not running because of targeting reasons. Looking into it, it appears that AdWords its starting to only accept Customer Email Lists or Similar Audiences based on said lists. (See image below for reference) 

Can anyone one else confirm this is happening to them? If so - speculation - does this mean that we will no longer be able to target to domains of specific websites or even general contextual targeting? 

Campaign_Management_–_Google_AdWords.png

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joshua R
November 2016

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Joshua,

General remarketing lists are not a supported targeting option for Gmail ads. However, Customer Match and Customer Match similar audiences, as well as keyword and domain targeting, are all available.

You can find the full list of compatible and incompatible targeting options on the Help Center.

Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joshua R
November 2016

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Joshua,

General remarketing lists are not a supported targeting option for Gmail ads. However, Customer Match and Customer Match similar audiences, as well as keyword and domain targeting, are all available.

You can find the full list of compatible and incompatible targeting options on the Help Center.

Cassie

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Joshua,

GSP dont run on remarketing list. You can try gmail.com as your targetting option or can add your customer email address

Regards,

Manish

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey @CassieH

Was this a recent change? I was able to use smart remarketing lists from my Analytics account not too long ago. 

Thanks for the info! 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hey Joshua,

I just checked into a few resources, including the original launch blog post in 2015, and haven't found any mention that remarketing was ever available on Gmail ads. This is primarily due to stricter privacy requirements for Gmail ads.

Did the lists you were able to add ever serve? It could be that you were previously able to add a remarketing list as a targeting option to the campaign but it wouldn't serve, and it's possible that there may have been a recent update that prevents you from adding remarketing lists altogether.