AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Reporting Script for Ad Group Performance?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've searched the forums here for any insights on a script like this but haven't found any.

Do you know of any Ad Group Performance scripts that I could add to my account? I'm hoping to track performance daily by ad group. I've found (and implemented) scripts for the campaign level, account level, and keyword level-- but I haven't been able to find one that displays Ad Group performance stats. 

I'd also be interested in learning how to build out a script that does just that. : )

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeffrey W
October 2015

Re: AdWords Reporting Script for Ad Group Performance?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeffrey W if you're looking to learn, I'll only give you a little help Smiley Happy

In almost all respects, the code you have (or can find) for Campaigns can be very easily converted to work for Ad Groups simply by changing the object selected.  So, for example, you might see a line like this:

var campaigns = AdWordsApp.campaigns()

followed by some conditions.  If you simply change this to:

var adGroups = AdWordsApp.adGroups()

then most of the conditions, stats and so on are all the same.  Where scripting at the "lower" levels becomes more complex is mainly in the reporting itself, rather than in the coding.  If you want to track Ad Group performance, you'll probably also want to know what Campaign that Ad Group belongs to when you report upon it, so you might want to iterate your Campaigns first, then select the Ad Groups for reporting (so you can output the Campaign name, and all the Ad Groups belonging in that Campaign, in an structured order.  For example:

// get a selector of Campaigns first
var campaigns = AdWordsApp.campaigns() .withCondition("Status = 'ENABLED'") .get(); // loop through all the retrieved Campaigns while (campaigns.hasNext()) {
// create an object for the currently selected Campaign var thisCampaign = campaigns.next(); // create a selector for the Ad Groups in that Campaign var adGroups = thisCampaign.adGroups() .withCondition("Status = 'ENABLED'") .get() // loop through all the Ad Groups while (adGroups.hasNext()) {
// create an object for the currently selected Group var thisGroup = adGroups.next(); //do stuff with the Ad Group (thisGroup) } }

Does this put you on the right path?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeffrey W
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeffrey W if you're looking to learn, I'll only give you a little help Smiley Happy

In almost all respects, the code you have (or can find) for Campaigns can be very easily converted to work for Ad Groups simply by changing the object selected.  So, for example, you might see a line like this:

var campaigns = AdWordsApp.campaigns()

followed by some conditions.  If you simply change this to:

var adGroups = AdWordsApp.adGroups()

then most of the conditions, stats and so on are all the same.  Where scripting at the "lower" levels becomes more complex is mainly in the reporting itself, rather than in the coding.  If you want to track Ad Group performance, you'll probably also want to know what Campaign that Ad Group belongs to when you report upon it, so you might want to iterate your Campaigns first, then select the Ad Groups for reporting (so you can output the Campaign name, and all the Ad Groups belonging in that Campaign, in an structured order.  For example:

// get a selector of Campaigns first
var campaigns = AdWordsApp.campaigns() .withCondition("Status = 'ENABLED'") .get(); // loop through all the retrieved Campaigns while (campaigns.hasNext()) {
// create an object for the currently selected Campaign var thisCampaign = campaigns.next(); // create a selector for the Ad Groups in that Campaign var adGroups = thisCampaign.adGroups() .withCondition("Status = 'ENABLED'") .get() // loop through all the Ad Groups while (adGroups.hasNext()) {
// create an object for the currently selected Group var thisGroup = adGroups.next(); //do stuff with the Ad Group (thisGroup) } }

Does this put you on the right path?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help with this, @Jon_Gritton. I was hoping you'd chime in-- your insights on this forum are always great.

Using your pointers, I was able to make the necessary changes in my script. The script was using Tab index searches to decide which Performance Reports to put on each tab in the Google Sheet. So I added a few new tabs with _group in them, set up a new index search to run the AdGroup_Performance_Report on those tabs, and then adjust column names accordingly.

Thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jeffrey,

would you share you're created script for the report with me?
I'm looking for the exact report you've been.
I would really appriciate you're help.

Best
Rockina