AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Geo-Targeting and Negative Keyword Errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have added various keywords including "kennels" and "home" to our negative keywords list. Despite this Adwords is still showing and charging us for clicks when google users search for phrases such as "home sitters" and "cat kennels".

In addition I recently posted that whilst we had set out geo targeting to London only we were receiving visitors via AdWords from other areas outside of London. We were informed we had chosen by default the "users who are searcing for areas in London" rather than purely users in London. So we changed this to only users actually in London. Unfortunately Google's own tracking software "analytics" is showing we still do receive visitors via our Adwords campaig that are not in London.

We would really appreciate your advice and help and even a representative of Google themselves to look into the above and provide solutions and if necessary refunds with assurance that the above if mistakes do not occur again.

Kind regards

Glen

www.thelondondogwalkers.com

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Geo-Targeting and Negative Keyword Errors

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello LondonDogWalke

Geo targeting is not perfect in Europe compared to the USA. So, you may find that you get clicks outside the territory you choose, in particular,  if Geo-targeting by you drawing a circle.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

I

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any reply regarding the negaitve keywords issue?

Re: I

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi LondonDogWalker,

What's the match type for your negative keywords? They probably should be phrase match. Definitely should not be exact match.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I hope you don't mind me tacking on a related question.

What is the effective difference in a single negative keyword being a phrase match vs. a broad match?

"kennel" vs. kennel

I have only been using phrase match for my negatives when they are more than one word long.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

broad match means in affect Google identifies that keyword is useless to you and sends a lot more traffic your way via that keyword to increase their profits exponentially. Broad and Exact and being able to choose between the too can have tangible benefits for the adwords customer but ultimately it is a tool to provide data to Google to allow them to extort their customers.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi LondonDogWalker,

You have asked for help with a particular problem. You've had a couple of suggestions here, and a few question were asked. You seem to have chosen to ignore the questions, the answers to those questions could help us help you. What you have chosen to do, instead, is rant against Google and their policies.

I'm no Google evangelist, but it seems you have already decided AdWords is a total scam and that you have no responsibility to design and run an effective campaign. I'm not sure it's worth any forum member's time to try to help you further.

As for negative match types. Negative broad will block that keyword, synonyms and close variants. Negative phrase match will block queries that contain the phrase in the exact order as your keyword. It will not block variants or synonyms. Negative exact match will block only queries that contain your keywords exactly with no other text.

Broad match may not be appropriate for you, but it is appropriate for large operations like eBay and Amazon. You need to be aware of that, and it appears you are. I would not recommend broad match for you. Broad match modified might be a good option. It is up to you, not Google, to identify keywords that are useful for your business. Google's only responsibility is to attempt to follow your instructions. With broad match, you have asked Google to show your ad as often as possible for anything even remotely related to your service or product. In Google's world, that's an extremely broad target. So, you have 2 choice here. Tighten up your keywords--you already have a grasp on the concept that broad match is too broad, so do something about it. Or you can close your account and walk away. It's completely up to you.

I apologize if the tone of this post is a bit gruff. We're all volunteers here, and here to help you if you'll give us a chance.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords