AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Editor not Showing Text Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been using AdWords editor for years now. But since last 2 versions, I am having a problem with AdWords editor. It is not showing text ads in the AdWords Editor. I can see other data like keywords, image ads, groups and campaigns but this is just that I am not seeing text ads in the editor. I tried un-installing and re installing as well. When I downloaded campaigns to the editor, first time after re-installing, it showed me that text ads were downloaded but in the editor it doesn't show any text ad.

Can anyone help in resolving this issue?

Some Facts:

• I'm using an MAC account with AdWords Editor.
  • I'm using the latest version i.e.. AdWords Editor 9.7.1 on Windows 7.
  • I tried un-installing and reinstalling a few times but it didn't work. I also tried a solution provided in the previous AdWords forum, where the AdWords Editor folder is deleted from the App Data folder in Windows but it didn't work either.

Thanks

Usman Latif

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: AdWords Editor not Showing Text Ads

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Do you have location extensions appended to the ads? I've noticed that these won't load if so.

Thanks,

BlueIon

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Ah, that's right, I had forgotten about that Bluelon!

It's been so long since 9.5 came out (I can't remember if you could do this quit the previous version of editor, or even if "appended" location extensions were an option then), I forgot that issue with the editor was one of the reasons I quit using "appended" location extensions. I think that if you need to make sure one location extension is showing for a particular ad, that trying to structure the account differently may be the way to go. Location targeting and identification isn't perfect, and the disadvantage of "appending" an ad, is if the system determines a user to be "outside of a relevant distance from the location" no ad will be shown. I would rather have an ad shown with no location extension, than no ad shown. 

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Do you have location extensions appended to the ads? I've noticed that these won't load if so.

Thanks,

BlueIon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Bluelon: Yes I have location extension appended to it. But, location extensions had always been there and the text ads were showing fine with the extensions before.

I am not sure if location extension is an issue.. is it?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Ah, that's right, I had forgotten about that Bluelon!

It's been so long since 9.5 came out (I can't remember if you could do this quit the previous version of editor, or even if "appended" location extensions were an option then), I forgot that issue with the editor was one of the reasons I quit using "appended" location extensions. I think that if you need to make sure one location extension is showing for a particular ad, that trying to structure the account differently may be the way to go. Location targeting and identification isn't perfect, and the disadvantage of "appending" an ad, is if the system determines a user to be "outside of a relevant distance from the location" no ad will be shown. I would rather have an ad shown with no location extension, than no ad shown. 

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Since it really seems to be an issue with the location extension, is there any easier way of turning location extension off for a while; sync the account with AdWords Editor; export the campaign and then turn the location extenstions ON again for all the ads. Yet it seems like we have to add the location to all ads individually and I've a lot of ads. Any helep please?

Thanks

Usman Latif

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution. You can have you're extensions turned on at the campaign level, but the issue is when you are selecting the option 'Always show with one address' when creating an ad. This might be something  that needs to be brought up to the AdWords team. They have always been very helpful when I've called - http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1385067

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

I agree with Bluelon - Location extensions at the campaign level are not the issue, it's that the location extensions are set to 'always show with one address'.

How many location extensions do you have?

Why do you select 'only show with one address'?

If you disable, then re-enable the  'only show with one address' ads, when you re-enable them the problem with the editor will still be there. The way to solve the problem, is to figure out whether or not you really need to use 'only show with one address' for your location extensions. If you have to do this, then you are going to have to live with the issue with the editor, until an update that comes along that fixes it.  

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have exactly the same problem. Adwords Editor was working fine until we added locations to the ads.

Now Adwords Editor only downloads those ads that don't have any locational based information attached.

Any fix here Google?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

For certain technical reason, Editor does not support ads associated with ad-level location extensions, and is unlikely to support them in the foreseeable future. This is mentioned briefly in the help page on location extensions, under "Compare campaign-level and ad-level location extensions". I am sorry for the difficulty this may cause, but unfortunately, I do not have any better news for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

when is goign to be fixed, we are in 2013 ante the issue still there :/