AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Editor fails to start due to missing DLL error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While starting AdWords editor I faced the following error

"The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." Screenshot below.

adwords-editor-error.jpg

I reinstalled the latest version of AdWords Editor. But, this problem won't go away. This is on Windows 8 laptop. I tried installing the new AdWords Editor on another Windows 8 laptop, but it returned the exact same error. 

How can I fix this problem?

Thank you,

--shashi

2 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Strange. Our installer should be installing those DLLs along with the application. We'll look into why it might not be doing that.

Meanwhile, you can download and install Visual C++ Redistributable here:

https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=48145

This will install the necessary DLLs.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Igor,

Thank you for the response. 

I have already tried installing Visual C++ Redistributable as suggested on StackOverflow in a different context.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33265663/api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0-dll-is-missing-when-openin...

Trouble is the installation of that package never completes.  I waited for more than 30 minutes for that installation to complete. The installation progress bar goes almost till the end, but doesn't finish the installation. 

--shashi

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hmm. Try installing KB2999226 update [1] first, and then the redistributable.

[1] https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

If all else fails, I suppose I could zip up the necessary DLLs and put them up for download somewhere, and you could copy them over into Editor's installation folder (I'll tell you exactly where). That's what our installer should have done in the first place. But let's try the "official" method first.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tried installing the update you mentioned - KB2999226. It remains stuck  at "Searching for updates on this computer" for a long time. 

I tried to troubleshoot the Windows update. It apparently fixed something, but I'm still unable to download and install Windows updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2714434/description-of-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

Please share the DLL and the location where it needs to be copied. Currently, AdWords Editor's installation location for me is 

C:\Users\Shashi\AppData\Local\Google\AdWords Editor\11.8.0.0

Thank you,

--shashi

Re: AdWords Editor fails to start due to missing DLL error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same problem here on Win 8.1 Pro machine. also endless loop when trying to install Update for Universal C Runtime

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shashikant K
April

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

ADDED 7/6/2017: we have recently released Editor 12.0, whose installer is not supposed to have this problem - it should install the necessary DLLs as needed, on all Windows versions. However, we see an increase in the number of requests to share the Google Drive file below. This suggests that the problem is not fully resolved, that some users still have to apply the workaround manually.

If anyone still sees "The program can't start because a DLL is missing from your computer" error when trying to install and run Editor 12 - could you please respond to this thread? Which Windows version are you running? Please attach a screenshot of the error message. We'd like to get to the bottom of this; your help is much appreciated.

I've uplodaded a ZIP file with the required DLLs here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3cH0xOrbizXXzZWTm9jeDExcjA

It's shared with Shashikant K and Axel R , using the same accounts under which you posted to this forum.

After downloading, unpack the file into these two folders:

C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Local\Google\AdWords Editor

C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Local\Google\AdWords Editor\11.8.0.0

(For technical reasons, Editor needs two separate copies of all the DLLs, one in each of these folders).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Igor, 

Copying the DLLs in the AdWords Editor installation directory worked. 

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!

--shashi

Re: AdWords Editor fails to start due to missing DLL error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This did the trick - thank you very much for your fast assistance.

@Shashikant K - thank you for the topic, it is always easier when only having to write "me too" ;-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I have the same problem. Could you open access to my e-mail, too?