AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Editor Update 11.6.1 - Local changes missing

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I got a message to update AdWords editor and all my local changes (unposted) are gone. Anyone else facing this issue?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chetan J
October 2016

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

There is a bug in 11.6.1 whereby it fails to import edits from prior version on upgrade. We have since released 11.6.2 with the fix - this solves the problem for future upgrades, but sadly doesn't help those like you who have already upgraded.

There is a manual workaround that would allow you to recover those edits, detailed here:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Account-Issues/AdWords-Editor-not-backing-up-comme...

See if it helps. We are terribly sorry for all the trouble.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok sure, thanks a lot. Will try the workaround.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@AdWordsEng-Igor worked perfectly fine. Thanks for the workaround.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Quick question - I keep getting a message box to import local changes even though I've imported the changes for any account. Any way to fix this annoying pop-up message?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Are you saying that you see a prompt to import changes for an account for which you have already imported changes?

Backups are stored under

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Google-AdWords-Editor\242\backups\<account-id>.aes

(242 is for 11.6.* series; other versions would have a different number).

Whenever you open an account's window, Editor checks whether the backup file for this account exists, and if so, prompts you to import it. Once the import completes, or if you decline it, the file is supposed to be renamed to <account-id>.aes.bak so it doesn't get found again.

It would seem that something prevents the file from being renamed on your system, so it is left behind and is then found again when you open the account the next time, starting the cycle anew. You could stop it by deleting or renaming these files, or the whole \backups folder.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I'm facing this problem - "a prompt to import changes for an account for which you have already imported changes?"

Will follow the steps to fix this. Thanks again.