AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Editor - Issue with closed remarketing lists

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a rule based remarketing list that tracks viewers of a specific ad in the past 40 days. I recently closed this list so I could us it as a negative audience in my next campaign being built in AdWords Editor (I did not close the "similar to" audience automatically generated by AdWords for that list). In AdWords Editor, the rule based remarketing list I had closed does not appear as an option, however, the "similar to" lists that is automatically generated showed up as closed. Strangely, in AdWords (not editor), I can see the closed, rule-based remarketing lists. This makes me think it is an issue specific to AdWords Editor. 

My goal is to use the rule-based remarketing list (not the "similar to" audience) that I closed as a negative audience

Does anyone have some insight into how I can fix this without needing to upload the campaigns and add the negative audiences in AdWords? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Closed lists are not available for targeting. In the online interface, while they show up under Shared Library > Audiences, they are not listed in the picker under Display Network > +Targeting or (for search campaigns) Audiences > +Targeting; you can't actually add them to your campaigns or ad groups.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So it turns out that AdWords Editor does not download closed remarketing lists. The reason that my "similar to" audiences downloaded to AdWords editor is that it hadn't changed over to closed yet. 

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

That's correct. There's little reason to download closed lists, when they can't be targeted anyway.