AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Editor 11.1.2 Bug

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am getting an "invalid destination url" error when trying to upload a new campaign. Checked, double checked, changed it and then checked again... contacted support and they checked it also.

So they told me to post it here and see if it can get resolved. 

I guess in the mean time, I will be manually creating the ads again in adwords.... Man Sad

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Tanya K (Google Employee)
June 2016

Re: AdWords Editor 11.1.2 Bug

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee
We will eventually. We had to ship a release that supported equally well destination URLs pre-migration, and final URLs pre- and post-migration (one could start using final URLs well before the July 6th date).

Editor is a desktop application installed on the user's machine (as opposed to a web application running on Google servers). We cannot have it magically change its appearance and behavior at the precise instant a switch is flipped server-side. The best we can do is ship a release that works reasonably well both pre-flip and post-flip.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi James,
This doesn't sound like an ideal situation. Let me see if I can look into this for you. Please keep an eye on your email.

Kathleen

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
As of yesterday, destination URLs are blocked by the server. No more ads, keywords or sitelinks can be created with a destination URL. Use a final URL instead. You can find it in Editor under URL Options section.

For more details, see

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2015/06/reminder-upgrade-your-urls-by-july-1.html

(the article says July 1st, but the roll-out got delayed by a few days).

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Ah yes! Thank you @AdWordsEng-Igor!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I tried use the same url as the display url with the same results.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
You must leave destination URL field blank. Nothing else will work there, whether it matches display URL or otherwise. What you used to put into destination URL field, place into final URL field instead.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nice to be kept updated! Perhaps an email sent out to all users in future?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"Final" worked.

Seems "Non" intuitive to have Destination URL Field there as if we are still using it and have to go leave it blank but go to a different tab to put the "Final" Url there. Seems like you would delete the Destination field altogether since it is obsolete... and replace it with the Final.

NOT Happy with Version 11.

I really don't like having to sign in every time I want to download an account to review/update. One I sign in >> Leave me signed in until I sign out! Or set a times to log me out in x hours.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have to say that I agree with others.  If "Destination URL"£ field is redundant - get rid of it and replace it with the "Final URL" field.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Tanya K (Google Employee)
June 2016

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee
We will eventually. We had to ship a release that supported equally well destination URLs pre-migration, and final URLs pre- and post-migration (one could start using final URLs well before the July 6th date).

Editor is a desktop application installed on the user's machine (as opposed to a web application running on Google servers). We cannot have it magically change its appearance and behavior at the precise instant a switch is flipped server-side. The best we can do is ship a release that works reasonably well both pre-flip and post-flip.