AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Daily Budget spread out through the day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ever since I signed up for AdWords, I have been using Ad Scheduling and was under the impression that the % of daily budget assigned to the blocks of times controlled the total amount of the budget that was allowed to be spent for that block.  Only recently did I find out that it is really controlling a percentage of your maximum bid.

Example: If my daily budget was $10 and I broke the day down into 3 8 hour blocks and assigned each one a 33% spending limit, I thought that my ad would run during the first 8 hours until $3.30 in clicks was spent, then would stop until the next 8 hour block started and I would have another $3.30 worth of clicks, repeating again once more in the evening.

Is there a way to do break the daily budget down into blocks like in my example?  The reason I would like to do this is so that my ad shows up consistently throughout the day rather than only for the mornings in case my budget is depleted early.

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hop H
September 2015

Re: AdWords Daily Budget spread out through the day

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Hop H ! Welcome to the community !

"Is there a way to do break the daily budget down into blocks like in my example?"

Yes, divide your campaign in 3 campaigns AND use ad scheduling to limit every campaign to run only 33.33 % of the time.

However if you want a "night shift" campaign , you will have to divide the ad schedule in 2 segments , like this 

Rule1 : running from 10 PM to 0 pm , and 

Rule2 : running from 0 am to 7 am

Read this article about bid adjustments for day parts   Set bid adjustments for an enhanced campaign

Rasing the bid for a certain part of the day just tells the system that you want to be more competitive for that day segment, you want your ads to show higher than the competition and get more clicks, because it makes sense for your business.

For example if you have 2 jobs, and one is consultancy for real estate in the evening, after h18:00, you will run your ads more expensive from h18:00 to h:20:00 in order to get more phone leads in that time frame.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hop H
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Hop H ! Welcome to the community !

"Is there a way to do break the daily budget down into blocks like in my example?"

Yes, divide your campaign in 3 campaigns AND use ad scheduling to limit every campaign to run only 33.33 % of the time.

However if you want a "night shift" campaign , you will have to divide the ad schedule in 2 segments , like this 

Rule1 : running from 10 PM to 0 pm , and 

Rule2 : running from 0 am to 7 am

Read this article about bid adjustments for day parts   Set bid adjustments for an enhanced campaign

Rasing the bid for a certain part of the day just tells the system that you want to be more competitive for that day segment, you want your ads to show higher than the competition and get more clicks, because it makes sense for your business.

For example if you have 2 jobs, and one is consultancy for real estate in the evening, after h18:00, you will run your ads more expensive from h18:00 to h:20:00 in order to get more phone leads in that time frame.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

And if that sounds a little daunting... use Google AdWords Editor to duplicate the campaigns for you!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Excelent addition Steve, that saves a lot of time  !

Although Hop H , when editing with the Adwords Editor you may be running into some problems :

1) you have to setup the location extention manually in every ad, because it doesn't import location extensions yet

2) all the text ads that have location extension, cannot be directly imported, you have to use a workaround , export them from the adwords online interface in an excel and use the editor option for Ads :  "Make multiple changes / Add/Update multiple ads" to import the columns for : Headline / Description line 1 / Description line 2 / Display URL / Destination URL

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Hop H, further to the good replies you've had already, can I just pick up on something you said about the budget being depleted?

What is your current Ad Delivery setting?  Is it set to "Accelerated" or "Standard"?  For most people I'd recommend "Standard" which attempts to spread the daily budget across the entire scheduled period, exactly as you'd want.  It's not perfect, if your daily budget is very low compared to the possible spend, and if average CPC rates are a high percentage of the daily budget then it's less than effective, but in either case I'd expect the whole Account to be reasonably ineffective anyway.

On the general subject of Ad Scheduling, the ability to alter bids per scheduled period is an important feature of AdWords and one that's often overlooked so don't dismiss it altogether in your new structure!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adrian and everyone else.  It does seem a little daunting but sounds like it will achieve what I want.  I will try out the AdWords Editor to copy the campaigns.

Cobnut-  I am using the Standard Delivery Method, but yes, my CPC is a high percentage of the daily budget since I am targeting the top of the page.  One of the main reasons I am looking to split the budget into blocks, is that I have been told by a local competitor that he routinely clicks my ads (and others in our industry) in hopes of depleting my budget early in the day in order to bring his to the top.  The other reason is that I have noticed that legitimate customers often click the ad multiple times in the process of shopping around between myself and competitors.  I want to avoid spending the majority of my daily budget on just one or two leads.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Hop, you're always going to struggle to make AdWords work for you when your daily budget is so close to the CPC.  Competitors clicking your Ads and customers clicking more than once are just the AdWords "facts of life" and can't really be avoided.  Hopefully AdWords will be picking up some or all of these competitor clicks as invalid and refunding the cost at the end of the billing period but that doesn't help with daily depletion and nothing is going to stop customers clicking more than once - you're just losing them as potential sales.

It's really not healthy to look at AdWords purely in terms of cost.  You have to look at it (and all advertising) in terms of the Return on Investment (ROI).  If AdWords makes you a profit, you should be able to increase your spend.  If it doesn't make you a profit and nothing you can do will change that, you should stop advertising.  There really is no middle ground.

The only exception to this model is where a new Campaign is just starting as you'll have no data to judge profit or loss and the Campaign may take some time to tune effectively.  In this circumstance you really have to ensure you have enough budget to run a meaningful, long term test.  Simply "trying it out" at a few dollars a day is a waste of money as it does not represent what might be possible with a larger, longer spend.  If you can afford a few dollars a day it's worth spending nothing and putting those dollars aside until the point where you have enough to spend $100 a day for a week - that's a much better test of what might be possible.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits