AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Ad Scheduling - Is it worth it?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone. Smiley Happy

I was wondering if it was a good idea to schedule your ads specially if your client is just starting their first AdWords campaigns?

Thanks

RC

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Ad Scheduling - Is it worth it?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Razzc,

Not in all cases - but in some cases it is a good idea to do it from the very begining  - 

For example, if your campaign is for "pizza delivery" - and the restaurant's call-center is working only from "10:00 to 21:00" than it wont be very wise to advertise around 23:00. That's because its most likely that if someone is search for "pizza delivery" around 23:00 he wants to get the pizza today.

In other cases, an e-commerce campaign for example, it wont be goot to have "ad scheduling" from the very beginning.

Good Luck Smiley Wink,

Asaf

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

RC,

I second Asaf comments.

I would add that with Adwords there is always the unknown piece with any new campaign.  I often characterize the beginning run of a campaign as the discovery phase.  Absent some of the pieces cited by Asaf, broadness, with budget limits does tend to breed a fuller understanding of what is out there to get, and to avoid.  

As far as scheduling, you should reference the "hour of the day" pulldown on the dimensions tab to discover peculiarities in traffic and throughput owing to to time of day.

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Doug. Thanks heaps bro.

I like the 'discovery phase' terminology! Smiley Happy Makes a lot of sense.

I was wondering if G Analytics shows traffic time in time slots of the day, week etc.

RC

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi razzc, yes, Analytics can segment data hourly so it's a useful tool to examine likely customer flow.

To echo the comments from Doug and Asaf combined, personally I wouldn't apply any scheduling to a new Campaign unless there was a strong reason to do so (like the pizza delivery example).  Although you may expect to apply some scheduling at some point, I always like to just test the water for the first week or so to make sure nothing's being missed.

For example, it may be that the most traffic comes between 9am and 6pm weekdays, but the highest conversion rate is between 6pm and 9pm.  It's quite common to find people searching for things at work then buying when they get home so it's a good idea to run your Ads 24/7 for a short while to look for these "oddities".

Don't forget about Bid Adjustment either.  When I set a schedule I often make it "soft".  For example, if I'm pretty sure the Ads are only really effective from 9am to 5pm, I'll often include time slots from 8am to 9am and 5pm to 6pm at a much lower CPC, say 60% bid, so that Ads may still run in these dawn/dusk periods, but at a lower cost.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks the your thorough reply Jon. I really appreciate you taking time for this. Now I understand. You're right about hours. I might get better traffic after hours than during business hours. Great advise.

Would you be able to help us on how do I go about segmenting data hourly?

Thanks again.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi razzc, segmenting by hour is pretty simple in the AdWords interface.  Log into AdWords and then select either one or more Campaigns.  Click on the Dimensions tab in the menu above the graph. Above the figures that appear when the page loads you'll see a drop-down labelled "View:" on the left, click this and choose "Time", then "Hour of Day".  When the page reloads you should see the data you want.

The data here can be very interesting but make sure you don't get carried away with figures that aren't statistically significant.  Don't just look at the percentages but also at the impressions, clicks and conversions.  Statistics like hourly performance really need a lot of data behind them to become truly useful, not just in terms of actual figures but also time.  I wouldn't want to make decisions based upon hourly data unless I was looking at at least two weeks worth of solid data, maybe even a month.

Don't forget also that time period performance may be quite different on weekends and weekdays - or even just one day to the next, depending on your business.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks again Jon. I am setting up a proper campaign this weekend so wish me luck. I will be getting help from G Engage Asia Pacific.

Just one question though! I attnede a G's bootcamp here in Melbourne, Australia. According to them the ideal thing to do is to have an Ad Text per keyword and a landing page per keyword as well. Smiley Sad Does this make any sense to you? What if someone out there has 100 keywords? Are we writing 100 ads for them thus 100 landing pages? And if, may be yes, I would not even know how much to charge to setup/cosntruct an account for a client.

You think you can put some light on this.

Thanks for your ongoing advise. Smiley Happy

Razz