AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdRoll Retargeting vs Google ReMarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am trying to decide between using Google Remarketing and AdRoll Retargeting, and while I was on the AdRoll blog site, they mentioned three things that AdRoll could do, but Google Remarketing could not do:

• AdRoll allows an advertiser to 'cherry-pick' sites within AdRoll's inventory that they want to re-target to, whereas Google Remarketing does not allow you to pick which site to advertise on within their inventory.
  • AdRoll allows segmentation, as in, people who go to different areas of a website, the advertiser has the option of exposing them to different marketing messages, and an advertiser would have the option of even excluding people from retargeting altogether that visit specific areas within their website.  
  • AdRoll offers something called an 'engagement campaign' - targeting a remarketing campaign to people who have already purchased, wait a certain number of days and then show them other offers or make them aware of complimentary products to their first purchase that they might be interested in.

This all sounds great, but the AdRoll blog was written in 2012, and considering that Google is constantly improving and updating their products, I just wanted to see if Google offer any of the above now? I have tried trawling through the Help pages without success.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

bianca

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdRoll Retargeting vs Google ReMarketing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well...

I haven't used AdRoll. I have found Adwords Remarketing  an excellent retargeting tool. (Sometimes too much...); However; you know, - "the ocean is big enough", and there is room for every player.  (Though, I doubt if Adroll network is as big as Google's)

Anyway, all the options you listed are available in Adwords Remarketing

The first "claim" from the blog, is incorrect: You can combine Remarketing with other targeting  methods (e.g. Topics, placements)

Excluding and including users based on their behavior on a site is also possible using rule based Remarketing.

Read more:

Create a Remarketing list

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Bianca.

I have used AdRoll for over a month and I can say that coming from what AdWords has to offer I felt limited in many ways.

Nothing in your list cannot be achieved with AdWords and apart from that there are many other features available in AdWords but not in AdRoll.

What I did not like in AdRoll, compared to AdWords, was their billing system (they pre-charge you your campaign weekly budget everytime you create a new campaign), the fact that you could not restart a completed campaign and the absence of ad scheduling, to name just a few.

I only used them because I wanted to test out their Facebook exchange platform. Since then tough Google has partnered with Facebook and one can achieve the same thing that AdRoll does. The only caveat: it's not available through AdWords accounts, it only works for DoubleClick served ads.

At the moment, from what I know, there's nothing that comes even close to the possibilities AdWords + Analytics can offer, provided that you have a good understanding of how the system works.

In this respect, AdRoll's interface is simpler, but it is easy to make it simpler when you don't have many controls & dials.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the informative posts. Calin, it's great you mentioned about Google's social retargeting on Facebook. I have an AdWords account but not AdClick, does this mean I have to open one? Also in that case would I be able to integrate the AdClick account with my Analytics account? Finally, are businesses (as opposed to agencies) allowed to have an AdClick account? Too many questions I guess. Thanks. V

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

AdRoll actually does have a coincidentally larger reach then Google. AdRoll's is 98% of the web working with over 200 display networks where Google is only reaching 65% because they are only using the Google display network. If you are looking for side by sides of each company out there you can find further information  https://blog.kissmetrics.com/remarketing-and-retargeting-services/ 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Bianca,

I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to chime in. We use both adRoll and GDN. They both have their perks. If you have enough budget, you should consider leveraging both, as well. One thing that I really like about adRoll, in addition to the benefits you mentioned, is the ability to manage ads across Facebook Exchange. GDN has a ton of benefits, as well, though, so it would be hard for me to say one is better than the other. They are just different Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi bianca,

Very late reply here but I wanted to point out something else. Using just AdRoll you will not be able to retarget people using search terms on Google, so you will definitely want to also track via Google Remarketing as well if that is something you might want.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi

I have used AdRoll & Google Remarketing both & both have their advantages. One thing that annoyed me on AdRoll that they always give CPA for VTC + click Conversions (They count view through conversions while calculating the CPA) which is not the right way.

But Adroll can do wonders for your client, I would suggest to go with and test and then take a decision.

I have used both in combined and I received very good results.

Regards,
Rupesh Chhabra

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rupesh,

I am using Google Remarketing and Adroll both and I can see the 5 view through conversions in both accounts. I am just wondering how to differentiate if I have received VTC from Google Remarketing or Adroll. 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’