AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

AdRank details

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

AdRank definition was changed on:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

Can someone please explain more specific this sentence, especially what is included in the bolded part?

'....When estimating the expected impact of extensions and ad formats, we consider such factors as the relevance, clickthrough rates, and the prominence of the extensions or ad formats on the search results page....'

1 Expert replyverified_user

AdRank details

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello @mvarga,

I am not sure but I think that has something to do with standard ads and extended ads. The advertiser using extended text ads would probably get an edge in getting a better ad rank.

Regards,

Syed Sayem Mustafa

AdRank details

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

What they mean,  by saying "SERP format", as far as I know,   is whether extensions are  optimized to fit on SERP of all devices.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

AdRank details

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks @Sayem M and @MosheTLV for your reply.

Although I trust you and could put a bet on your comments, I hoped someone from Google would answer officially, what is behind this claims. 

Please, @Amber K, can you give us more insights on this?

AdRank details

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @mvarga,

I think the phrase you were referring to "the prominence of the extensions/formats on the search results page" means the number of extensions that are eligible to show with the ad on the search results page.

The part of the definition you coined out was explaining the signals that are used to estimate the "expected impact of extensions and ad formats". The factors considered are relevance of the extensions, CTR of the extensions, and prominence (which means number of ad extensions eligible to show with the ad).

Here is an article that talks more about ad extensions. And here is an excerpt: "For example, let’s say your ad is currently in position two. Imagine that moving up to position one would give you 30% more prominence, but adding a second extension to your ad would give you 40% more prominence."

Usually, it is advisable that you add as many extensions as possible to give users more information about the service you provide from seeing your ad in a glance.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Taslim

AdRank details

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you @Taslim O for your comment. On the link I have shared and in the sentence i mentioned are 'extensions and ad formats' specifically mentioned. 

Therefore I believe 'ad formats' are not extensions. 

Re: AdRank details

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi @mvarga

Ad formats are visual enhancements to search ads that more prominently
display information about your business, such as a phone number,
consumer ratings, or your website's domain in the headline. The most common
types of ad formats are ad extensions.

See more about ad formats here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3333616?hl=en

Also, the phrase you quoted from the definition of ad rank says, *"extensions