AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad words access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I'm one of Google corporte clients spending about 120K per annum. The activity is managed by our digital agency. Today I requested admin access to the acount an was told:

'I’m sorry, but that’s not something I can do – we have to be very strict with access privileges as it’s our IP to which access is being granted'.

I'm not happy with this at all, because I would like to have the full visibility of what's happening at the account.

Could you please advise whatwould be the best way forward?

Thanks,

Maggie

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad words access

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Maggie,

That doesn't sound right at all. Account access is granted to users via an email address and password. Account access is not granted to IP addresses.

Do you have any level of access to your account?

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

Thanks for getting back to me. No, I don't have any access to the account which I don't think is right at all. The agency works on the commission, so all work they did on the account was funded by us.

I have full access to the analytics.

Maggie

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Maggie, when they used the term "IP" were they perhaps referring to "intellectual property" rather than the network protocol?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's much you can do in this situation and I suspect that any solution that may exist will be a legal one.  We'd always recommend that if you have someone else manage your AdWords Account that you own that Account and control access to it, not the other way around.  In this way you always retain full control over the Account and have visibility of what's going on.  And, of course, you can revoke access at any time.

If in this case the AdWords account actually belongs to this agency, I'm not sure you'll have any rights to view it but you'd need to seek legal advice on the matter.

In the short term I think you should seriously consider ceasing business with this agency.  I would never pay even a fraction of what you're paying without complete and total access to my Account and you shouldn't either.  Get yourself a proper agent.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi maggie,

Is the account ownership (Contact, Company Name on Bills, etc) with you / your company? Do you pay your Google bills directly or to the agency? If you do and you can you prove your account ownership to Google, maybe you would have a chance. You could ask Google to give access to you. Once you get it, it'd be advisable to terminate your agency.

In any case you should. I'd be annoyed if this happened to me.

Thanks,
Vivek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Maggie,

we are in a similar situation - I was wondering if you managed to get access to/ hold of your AdWords account after all.

thank you

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Transparency sorely lacking which is always a red flag.

Insist upon access - and as soon as possible make a back up of your account by exporting the whole thing. In this way you would be able to reinstate the campaigns again if needed, although you would lose all historical data. Unfortunately, if you are working with an agency that gives you this kind of response to a perfectly reasonable request - i.e. I'd like access to my account - then things are likely to go downhill quickly.

Jon and Pete are right - if the account is in the agency name you are likely going to have problems if they refuse to give you access. You should control your account - not the agency.

The excuse that there is some kind of IP conflict is, frankly, nonsense.