AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad with Ad Customizers need another normal ad in the same ad-group?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why does an Ad with Ad Customizers need another "normal" ad in the same Ad-Group?

That kind of defies the purpose, doesn't it? 

Sure it makes sense for ad-testing, but if we're able to customize our ads in this way, why limit it by forcing users to have another, normal ad running at the same time?

Has anybody found a work-around or perhaps is there news that this will be changes in the near future?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad with Ad Customizers need another normal ad in the same ad-group

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Patrick,

I'm just recently digging into these ad customizers myself but I wonder, can you just go through the process as you need to and then pause the other, non customized ad?

I've also noticed this clause in the help center docs but as you know it comes without reason at this point.

Just a thought.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

that might be a solution, but at the moment it'll give me a warning if I remove the ad without costumizers - but then, the one with hasn't been approved yet, so maybe that will make a difference.

Appreciate the input thought!

Anybody else has any ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Patrick,

I'm literally working on executing ad customizers today...I'll keep you posted on what I find too.

Totally speculating but it could be a function of covering the possibility that the customizers may not always work and there needs to be a backup plan...but I get your point and agree - if I'm counting down to an event, I want these and only these customized ads to be getting impressions, not my standard ads.

Looking forward to more info myself.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I believe it is as a back-up in case something goes wrong with the parameters it is trying to pull.

For instance, if you use the countdown function and then it counts down to 0 and you don't change it, it wouldn't know what to do in the following days.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy,

possible, but then Google should provide an option to choose that you only want to show the ad with customizers as long as its valid & only falls back on the normal ad if, for some reason, the ad with customizers can't show.

Tommy is talking about one of the scenario's I had in mind - these costumizers provide us with so much functionality, but are by default limited to only a portion of our audience.

Hope Google will release more information soon!

Thanks for your feedback though Amy!

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Hi Patrick,

I know this post is a year old but I was wondering if you ever found a solution? I just started using ad customizers and I am running into the problem of having the back-up ad serve more than my customized ads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!