AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad stopped performing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an ad that has been running successfully for several weeks, and now all of a sudden it has flat lined for 4 days, where do I look to find the problem?

Re: Ad stopped performing

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Sharon,

There are so many variables here I really couldn't give you a quick answer. If the ad wasn't disproved you're likely seeing a keyword problem rather an ad problem. I'd either start top to bottom or bottom to top depending on the complexity of your account when starting to diagnose.

If your account is smaller I'd start at the granular levels as follows:

1) check to verify ads aren't disproved, under review, or approved(limited). If they are I'd just call Google's help line at: (866) 246-6453

2) check the destination url. If it's conversion performance has dropped there could be something going on with the landing page. Heaven knows I've seen a client's IT make website changes without notifying us and throwing the whole Adwords account out of whack.

3) check the adgroup's keyword performance. Set the time frame to the past two weeks and segment the data by weeks. Now just look for any keywords that may have changed performance dramatically from week 1 to week 2. If you do find something big here you again bump into a huge number of variables from competition levels, bids, quality scores, cross-pollination, etc.

4) Check your adgroup status to verify it's enabled. Its silly but silly thing happen in accounts.

5) Check your adgroup minimum bid. If this was changed and keyword bids aren't in place it will impact the bids of all the keyword's in the adgroup. If you've seen a pretty uniform drop in keyword performance from week 1 to week 2 this could be a culprit.

5) Check your campaign settings. You'll know what you should set. If it looks wrong, that could be the issue.

6) Check for any auto-optimization settings that may have just been applied or turned off. If you had things set to eCPC or conversion optimizer and turned that off it can really shake things up for a bit. Strangely and similarly, I've often seen it shake things up when I've turned it on. As a side note just make sure you have enough event items for each element before you implement an auto-optimize feature so Adwords has enough data to optimize from.

Looking at change history is also a great tool in a PPC sleuth's kit when trying to diagnose problems.

Well, it's certainly not a comprehensive list but hopefully that helps!

Mark Jensen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Mark, I'll look at all those things....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Mark, I called the number you gave me (thank you) it turns out that it was a billing issue, the client was on manual billing & I wasn't aware of that...all is well now.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
That's probably one of the best issues you could have had. Glad all is well!