AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad showing for exclided location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have my campain location configured as following:

Targeted locations: 12.0 mi around (51.757979,-0.310643)                   - which is St Albans UK

Exclude: People in, searching for or viewing pages about my excluded location

My ad showes for the following query: alterations in New York

All other search results at the first page are related to New York apart from my ad showing Garment Alterations in St Albans.

Any idea where to look for a problem or how resolve it?
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad showing for exclided location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

Where exactly are you checking your ads? Live searches?

Did you actually check the search terms being associated with your keywords by running the search terms report?

How about Ad Preview Tool (http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704363)? Did you ever try it? I must say that this is the best tool to look for your ad rather than checking it on live searches because it hurts your own CTR, impressions etc...

Also, check the Google preferences in your browser for custom location because if you intend to set some regional preferences, Google will try to show results related to that location.

I would also like you to read this article about advanced locations by Moshe and Tom:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/An-Introduction-to-AdWords-Geo-Targeting/ba-p/...

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

I have tried both the the live search and the Ad Preview Tool, both showing the same resuilt.

I red the suggested article a couple days and I can not se what I am doing wrong.

I have checked the search preferences for location and changed from my post code to "St Albans, UK" but with the same results.

I am kind of stuck.

Saying that I do not get any trafic yet from New York Smiley Happy but the same happens if I enter Manchester, or Brighton.... Eventually someone will click my ad.

I guess next is to report the issue to Google, unless someone else comes with more ideas.

Many thanks for the reply. Zoran

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am begging to understand.

If Google Adwords cannot recognize location in the same country where a search is initiated than it ignores the location (as if location has not been entered) even though Google search tries to guess location (and most often it gets it right) and even displays organic search for that location.

Related to my search with “New York” the location is in a different country and

AdWords ignores it, showing just local ads.

On this page:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453995

I have found following tip:

Location of interest works only if the location in the search is in the same country where the searcher is physically located. If you searched for France hotel while located in the United States, you won't see ads targeted to France even though your search showed interest in France. (You could still see ads for French hotels that are targeted to the United States, though!)

However, say you're in the United States and search for France hotel on Google.fr, the French domain. We'll identify your location as France because of the domain, and you'll be able to see ads targeted to France

Related to my search with Manchester I probably misspelled it, e.g. Mancester, and since such place does not exist AdWords probably just returned local ads, even though the organic search did it correctly with a warning: Showing results for alterations in manchester. I tested the assumption with several examples and it behaves consistently.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Zoran;

I check on Google maps,

There is also St Albans in New York USA . Since you chose "People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location" your ad is triggered against search queries about St Albans in the sate of New-York

Switch to: "people in my targeted location"

However; note that in the UK, Geo- targeting is by region. Thus, by drawing circles of mileage, you will not necessarily limit your ad appearances only to the area within the circle, but may also include a much wider region (where your ad will be shown).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe, my target location has been configured with coordinates, not name, so it can not be confused with any of 5 St Albans-es in US. I have done several experiments with Paris (where my ad appears the same as for New York) and with correct and incorrect spelling of town names in UK. In all cases I got consistent results:

1)     If a place is not recognised as a valid UK place (New York, Paris, Mancester, Brigton…) the ad appears as if it was a local search (though the organic search results are shown for a guessed/corrected town name)

2)     When I type proper town names (Manchester, Brighton…) my ad does not get displayed….

I suppose that the first case is an “issue” with AdWords where it:

- does not take into account corrections/guesses done by the search engine

- displays local adds even though a target place is specified. But in this case the target named is not correct and one can argue that “in Mancester” could have some other local meaning so ad should be displayed.

I also think that my theory is supported by the AdWords tip mentioned in the previous post.

Thank you for getting involved.

Zoran

Re:Targeting people searching about a location OR targeting people in a location

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again Zoran;

I think differently;

Your setting is : "the settings was "people in or searching about"

If one searches for "alterations in New-York", while (physically) in St Albans UK, the system does not recognize which St Albans the user refers to: The one in NY USA, or the one the user is located in (in the UK). The results: It shows both options.

To show your ads only to those physically located in St Albans UK, choose the other option "people (physically) in your targeted location"

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Re:Targeting people searching about a location OR targeting people in a location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have repeated all experiments with: People in my targeted location.

The results are exactly the same, no change.

I have experimented with changing the google search domain, e.g.

on google.co.uk  my ad is displayed when searching for "alternations in Paris" but it is not displayed when using google.fr (what is to be expected).

So I still beleive in my theory.

Zoran

Re: Re:Targeting people searching about a location OR targeting people in a location

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Quote:

If a place is not recognised as a valid UK place (New York, Paris, Mancester, Brigton…) the ad appears as if it was a local search (though the organic search results are shown for a guessed/corrected town name)

This is not the way it works....

• First, the system determines which of your keywords matches the search query. (A whole topic by itself,,, Using the search box, you will l find many discussions on that..)
  • The ad that was triggered by a keyword (found to be the best match to the query), enters an auction with all other (advertisers') ads, found to be eligible to enter the auction. (Including those from the Geo-region, and those "about" the region.) 
  • The ads that finally appear, are those with the highest ad-rank.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe, I fully agree with you….

Let’s consider a misspelled town name in an example query:  model maker in Mancester.

The search is initiated by someone in my target location 10 miles around St Albans (Manchester is 100+ miles away).

The model maker matches my key and my ad is considered as a candidate to be displayed. So is it my target location? Well, Mancester is not my target and the AdWords does not recognize the target too.

So my theory is that AdWords do not make an attempt to guess a correct target but consider Mancester as a word that does not match any key, so it gets ignored meaning that a target is not specified. That also means that my ad matches the search target too as it is initiated in my target area. If my bid is acceptable the ad gets displayed.

At the same time the search engine, independent from the AdWords, tries to guess the target ( and in most cases gets it right) so displaying search results for Manchester (not St Albans). But this is different topic.

That is exactly what I observed.

If I misspell Manchester my ad gets displayed.

If I spell Manchester correctly my ad does not get displayed.

The same logic can be applied for:  model maker in Paris.

Google states that AdWords will not consider targets in different countries:

Quote:

“Location of interest works only if the location in the search is in the same country where the searcher is physically located. If you searched for France hotel while located in the United States, you won't see ads targeted to France even though your search showed interest in France.”

So the search engine displays results for Paris but my ads are displayed as if target was not specified.

That is exactly what I observe:

From google.co.uk I get my advert displayed as if St Albans was targeted.

From google.fr I of course do not see anything related to St Albans, just Paris related ads.

So I do not see here anything contradicting your statements.  Both are actually applicable.

I am quite grateful for your involvement. It is not easy to find people with deep understanding of AdWords to discuss issues and exchange ideas.

Regards

Zoran