AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad shares a similar Display URL with a competing, higher ranking ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yesterday I moved a campaign out of our main PPC account into its own separate account, pausing the old one.

On some keywords I’m getting the message “Your ad shares a similar Display URL with a competing, higher ranking ad.” When I hover over the speech bubble to look at QS info. I’m guessing the competing ad is from the old campaign (now paused) in the main account and there’s just a bit of a delay in Google telling me this.

Anyone seen this before?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad shares a similar Display URL with a competing, higher ranking a

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Will, welcome to the Community.

I've not personally seen this message, but it rings vague bells with me.  I suspect you're correct in your thinking that it is your old Campaign causing the message and that in time, possibly quite a short time, it will vanish.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Will,

Google will only show one ad per display domain. That's what this message is about. Your paused campaign still gets reviewed and analyzed.

The message will likely continue to show unless you delete the original campaign.

I'd be careful with this. With two accounts for the same business and web site, you risk violating the double-serving policy unless you have received permission from Google to do this.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm actually running into the same problem.

Pete, thanks for the advice, but to clarify, does this mean that if I have an ad running in one campaign with a display url of say, xyz.com, and then create a new campaign with a new ad with a display url of xyz.com/123, I will still get this duplicate display url message because xyz.com is my display domain in both ads, regardless of the fact that I have added "123" to the second one to try and make it different/more relevant to the campaign that it is representing? Or will adding "/123" be enough of a difference to make xyz.com/123 a new display domain?

The interesting thing is that when I use the ad diagnosis tool and type in the keyword that generates this duplicate display url message, the diagnosis tool shows that my ad IS running, even though the message I receive in the keyword list says that my ad isn't running. Not sure how to reconcile the two?

I've also read in other forums that the problem could also be attributed to affiliates who sell your product outbidding you on AdWords for your own domain... anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks,

Dan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Dan,

Display URLs are identified by their domain, so your example of xyz.com and xyz.com/123 will be in competition and cannot appear together within a search result.

I find that the diagnosis tool is more closer to real-time than the statuses in the keyword list. I could be wrong, but that may be why they are conflicting.

If you are involved in affiliate marketing, then it's best to enforce a policy restricting affiliates bidding on your brand terms or engaging with paid search at all.