AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad scheduling

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Folks, 

Hope you are in Good Health and doing Good

I need some help in regards to the Ad Scheduling. Due to my pathetic time management I am unable to devout complete time to the Adwords Account this week. I only have a few hours in a day ti devout to Adwords. I want to know wheather the Ad Scheduling does perform what it promises to deliver. Well  basically I can still run the entire campaign in the present budget but cannot run it the whole day as I used to do.Can I schedule it to few hours and even then have the same results as I had running the Campaign the entire day.

I want more and more ads to be shown in the hours when I can moniter the account.

Someone please shed some light on this.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Ad scheduling

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I agree with Tom there.

As for analyze and optimize, I know that people are sometimes very eager to jump in and start optimizing on the very first day and it sometimes does makes sense as you can spot some major issues but it all depends on your budgets. If you have a huge budget and get a lot of impressions already on the first day, then yes it makes sense to browse through some of the words and if a keyword has got 2000 impressions and no clicks then there's probably something wrong and you should pause that keyword. Yet still for a bigger optimization you should give it some more time to get more data.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi AbhiShek,

I'm partially wondering why you would want to monitor your account as it's running.  Are you concerned about something happening?

On to your questions, although I have not found myself in your exact situation, I would say that you could try to spend your budget in a short period of time, but without knowing search inventory and your impression numbers, it would be tough to answer confidently.  I would suggest that you take an aggressive approach.

You can definitely accomplish quite a bit with Automated Rules.  Using AR, you can Pause and Enable campaigns and adjust bids based on current data. Here is Google's quick list of ideas:

• Scheduling ads for special promotions or events
  • Pausing low-performing ads or keywords
  • Changing keyword bids to control your average position
  • Adjusting budgets or scheduling budgets for certain days each week
  • Raising keyword bids to ensure ads show on first page

Then by using the accelerated ad delivery method, you may be able to spend more in less time.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

"without knowing search inventory and your impression numbers, it would be tough to answer confidently."

As far as ad scheduling is concerned, try to think more about when your customers are searching for, and likely to interact with your ads, rather than when you are available to monitor the account. Try using the dimensions tab day/time view, or the day/time campaign segments to see if you can spot some trends. Enable your impression share columns in all these views, and you may see a peak time of day, and peak days of the week for user interest. If the budget is limited, maximizing impression share during the peak times is definitely a sound approach.

I would caution against jumping right into the automatic tools. The more "rules" you set for the tools, the better they function. If you are still trying to spot the bigger overall trends, the automated tools aren't yet going to be able to spot those trends as effectively either. 

I agree with Tom that - There is something to be said for giving even the smallest change or edit some time to run, before making any further changes or edits. You want to be aware of things, but sometimes you can end up doing too much too fast, and that may mask greater long term trends.

I only use ad scheduling when I know that there are some big overall trends regarding user interest, and typically, that's hard to do with only one source of data. If overall traffic sources and revenue declines drastically on the weekends according to analytics, then it's a pretty safe bet that your customers are more business market focused, and tend to search/convert during the business week. If you get huge spikes in traffic during the weekends, then it's more likely you have a personal/leisure use product. You know that already as someone working in the industry, ad you know generally what those trends are. I would base ad scheduling on those factors, more than I would on when I was actively looking at the account.

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi AbhiShek,

There's some good answers here already but like Tom I'm wondering why you want to run the ads only when you can monitor it? You should know that AdWords reporting is actually not real-time, it has a couple of hours delay and most accurate data you will get for the previous day.

What we usually suggest is that you let the campaign run for 2 weeks or so to get enough data and then analyze what's been happening and optimize accordingly. It might be that the most conversions are actually happening when you are asleep! 

Have a look at this article on how to segment your stats to by time: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454008 

Hope this helps,

Karl

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

"analyze what's been happening and optimize accordingly." Could you tell some of our clients that? 

"It might be that the most conversions are actually happening when you are asleep!" Especially if you are on the East Coast, and the majority of your business comes from the West Coast. If you are in bed at 9 PM your time, but I don't get off of work until 6 PM my time, how could I click on your ad, and buy your product/service, when I am most interested in purchasing, if the ad is not showing? The customer is always right - Maybe not, but the money always spends. Smiley Happy

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I agree with Tom there.

As for analyze and optimize, I know that people are sometimes very eager to jump in and start optimizing on the very first day and it sometimes does makes sense as you can spot some major issues but it all depends on your budgets. If you have a huge budget and get a lot of impressions already on the first day, then yes it makes sense to browse through some of the words and if a keyword has got 2000 impressions and no clicks then there's probably something wrong and you should pause that keyword. Yet still for a bigger optimization you should give it some more time to get more data.