AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad relevancy turned to 'below average' campaign wide

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone.

We have a long running campaign (active for many years).
We made no changes at all, still the quality score dropped campaign wide, and 'ad relevancy' shows as below average for most of the keywords.

Same thing happened a month ago, and many have reported on this thread: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Ad-relevance-suddenly-changed-to-Below-aver...

Wanted to check is this also because of an update, and if others are seeing the same thing.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad relevancy turned to 'below average' campaign wide

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

I suspect that your problem is there in your second sentence, where you say you have "made no changes at all."  

An AdWords campaign is not a fixed project. As the online advertising environment changes (which it does at least a hundred thousand times a day), the overall ranking and performance of your campaign can change, even if you don't make edits.  A lot of these environmental changes might not impact your campaign, at least not significantly, but eventually the accumulated changes can have a dramatic impact.

Google does, yes, change the measurement algorithms to capture new data, to make their tools more accurate, or to reflect changes in how people search for things. It's possible that your landing page was acceptable "many years" ago but that it's no longer quite as attractive today. This might be because the content seems data, no longer fresh, or because you're serving mobile traffic and your site does not function well on mobile devices or some other reason.

I would like to suggest that you spend some time analyzing past performance data to figure out where you can make improvements in your keywords lists (positive and negative), write up fresh ad messaging to test, and take a good, hard look at your website--refreshing the content, testing it for mobile compatibility, etc.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for your reply.

We do split test ads, copy and landers but there have been no recent changes to the site and definitely no performance changes that would account for this issue.

All of our data: bounce rates, time on site, CTR and conversion rates remain constant or improve so it is very odd for this to happen all at once and across an entire campaign.

The last time this happened it was a Google system issue that resolved itself after a few days.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Okay, I apologize for misunderstanding your original post--clearly you have been making changes to your campaign.

For how long have you been seeing this problem this time?

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Just occurred. We realized it this morning when doing reports.
Yesterday everything was ok!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Excellent!

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for your reply.

If you don't mind my asking --- why excellent? Any insights for us?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

I'm sorry - I misunderstood your last post. I thought you were saying that the problem had just resolved itself?

If this is not the case, perhaps you might want to give the system a little time and see if the issue clears up by itself, the way it did before?

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Imre78,

If I may jump in here since you requested a feedback from any other user : That issue which happened on the 20th of september was a sudden switch in the Quality scores from high scores of 10/10 to 8/10 and most of the scores were normalized around 5/10. This generated that bellow average status for Ads.

Now I cannot confirm that this has been repeated today, at least from the data that I have.

How do you know exactly how many Ads have changed the status ?

Was this event accompanied by a drop in QSes for keywords in those ad groups ?

Did other parameters change like a drop in impressions or CTR ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reply.

1. Ads across ad groups in the campaign have been affected.
2. Event accompanied a drop in QS which also occurred the last time
3. CTR and impressions and other stats are holding stable.

his has occurred before even the last major event as well. Always bounces back but always concerns us.