AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad relevance poor despite ranking no. 2 for exact same phrase.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone tell my why I would have an ad with a score of 3/10 with poor ad relevance, despite ranking no.2 in Google for the exact same phrase?!?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Locassa
September 2015

Re: Ad relevance poor despite ranking no. 2 for exact same phrase.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Ya its happens but when you change your keywords match type than your keyword is under review at that time and after some time when your keyword reviewed qality score automatically dropped.

Have a look on snap

Regards

-Vicky

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

HI

1. Do you mean to say that your KW quality score is 3? Ads dont have quality scores

2. Do you mean to say you are ranking #2 in paid search or organic please clarify

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Locassa,

You are right if your phrase/keyword is on second position in organic search result than it should be relevant to you website but as till now i analyse adwords is always show low qality score for beginners campaign account. Whatever the keyword relevancy to your website doesn't matter, just to get higher bid for adwords better revenue.

Regards

-Vicky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. KW score is 3/10 relevance below average.

2. For same phrase our website ranks no. 2 in organic google search.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is an old campaign that I have just topped up the funds on (wasn't running before due to zero balance). I changed from exact match to broad match and it jumped up to 10/10.... strange.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Locassa
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Ya its happens but when you change your keywords match type than your keyword is under review at that time and after some time when your keyword reviewed qality score automatically dropped.

Have a look on snap

Regards

-Vicky

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Locassa;

If your KW is a new one, until you acquire enough impressions, your quality score is based on historical data on google.com. When you reach around 1000 impressions your QS is adjusted based on your campaign CTR.

Read more about that in this article: Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Locassa,

Just to expand on Moshe's post a bit. 

I think it is important to point out that Organic and Paid listings have zero correlation, I know that is odd but it is reality.

The AdWords Quality Scores are based on a completely separate set of factors than Organic listings are.  It is definitely a good start to rank highly for a search term organically but it will have no affect on how your AdWords Keywords will rank.

As previously stated, your QS will adjust over time and the initial settings are based on a combination of external factors and your account structure/history (if any) and keyword history across other accounts (among other things).

Give it a little time and try to work on refinements that will improve CTR until your QS's settle in.

My couple cents...

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks for all your help (everyone). I find it quite bizarre that organic rankings have no bearing on relevance to ads, but if that's the way it is then so be it. It seems daft to me that both analytics and google organic search results show a term as highly relevant to my website, however adwords deems it completely irrelevant.... is the relevancy based on the ad copy rather than the website?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Locassa,

Paid campaigns have to be treated separately to maintain fairness across the board for all advertisers.

'Relevancy' is just one of those mysterious terms.  IMO, the users are the ultimate determining factor in relevancy.  If uses find your ads useful, they'll click on them and when looking at QS, CTR is a great indicator of relevancy.

Having the terms on your landing page and in your ad copy is just not enough.  I would read up on Quality Score and take a look at Google's explanation of Ad Relevancy.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’