AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad performance - Sign in From Multiple Locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am unsure how Google shows ads to users signing in from different locations.
I am running a PPC Search campaign for a client that shows ads in Ireland only. If an Irish user signs in with his Google account from a country other than Ireland, will he be able to view the ads during his search on Google?
Will Google show ads to users who are actually physically located in Ireland only or will this list of users include those who sign in with a Google account with Country setting Ireland from any country?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashish V
September 2015

Re: Ad performance - Sign in From Multiple Locations

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
HI Ashish,

It's actually explained in the article that I linked to in my previous reply and in the first link of that article: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995

Someone's physical location is determined by their IP address, and for mobile devices that might also include WiFi (= ip address), GPS receiver and/or celltower.

Note that by default, ads will show not only to people in that location but also to people show ing an interest in that location. Interest in a location is determined by your search terms, past searches, google location settings in search, google search domain you're using (google.ie vs google.de for example) etc.

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Ashish

Welcome to the community.

Location targeting is set at the campaign level under settings. By default, AdWords will do a bit more than just showing your ad to people physically located in Ireland. For example, if you're running an ad for an hotel, your ad might also show to people in the Netherlands searching for "hotel Ireland", etc.

It is possible to change this behaviour by using the advanced location options in your campaign settings. You can read more about this location targeting and how to refine it here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply Ken.
I am aware of the advanced location settings and my question here is not related to "how I could use the Advanced location options".

What information does Google use to decide upon the location of the visitor?
Is it his IP address or the information from the browser setting(guessing) ? And if it depends on the browser setting, does the location setting of the browser change when we sign in with a foriegn country Gmail ID?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashish V
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
HI Ashish,

It's actually explained in the article that I linked to in my previous reply and in the first link of that article: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995

Someone's physical location is determined by their IP address, and for mobile devices that might also include WiFi (= ip address), GPS receiver and/or celltower.

Note that by default, ads will show not only to people in that location but also to people show ing an interest in that location. Interest in a location is determined by your search terms, past searches, google location settings in search, google search domain you're using (google.ie vs google.de for example) etc.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Ken!
This is exactly what I was looking for.